No time for Berghdahl

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Re: No time for Berghdahl

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote:
Trump really does need to learn when to STFU.
Nah, Trumps uses this stuff to shine a light on the madness about us. The madness that we here are well aware of, but the mass of mushy middle has been clueless about.

Bergdahl tactical loss. Strategic value. Wait for some quiet Chaos from the God of War. Err... SecDef housecleaning and career truncating of BHO era suck ups.
Nope

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... osecutions
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

National Review true to form -- reflexively negative on Trump.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote:National Review true to form -- reflexively negative on Trump.
First off, whether they are for or against Trump (the answer being both, depending on the issue and which writer) - the important question is what part of what he is saying is wrong? Since you said nothing substantive, I will assume nothing.

...and BTW, Andrew McCarthy wrote the piece and he is mostly pro-Trump.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... -collusion

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/4 ... tory-trump
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Fair enough. Guilty as charged.

I'm suffering from National Review fatigue this week. Got no energy to read the article to the end. I'm just taking a break. Dropped Jonah Goldberg from my Stitcher favorite stations this week. So much good stuff but just unrelenting on Trump nit picking... Valid or not, are you really helping wiht that Jonah, or is it therapy for you. Get over it already Jonah, move on. I have.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

What is it with blaming this on Trump? Yes, he said that, so did probably 50 million other people.

You want to blame someone for this utter travesty, blame the judge who let him walk with no prison when the scum deserted in the face of the enemy in a planned act during time of war while in the combat area. I know the last time the Army shot someone for that was just once back in WWII. But at the least he should have spent a few years locked up after he was judged guilty.

And how did that scum get to be a sergeant to begin with? Wasn't he a private when he deserted? How the hell did he get promoted?
Johnnyreb

Post by Johnnyreb »

And will this even count as a felony? So that he can't vote or own a gun?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Dishonorable discharge in itself is an automatic disqualification from owning firearms.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

Johnnyreb wrote:And will this even count as a felony? So that he can't vote or own a gun?
Yes.

A DD means that he can't vote, own a firearm, or hold a federal job or public office. And IIRC, not eligible for unemployment benefits.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Also, 50 million people who made statements against Bergdahl were not the commander in chief of the military. As for being in a time of war... What war? Only the Congress can declare a state of war, which they have not done in decades.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

It was still a not-smart statement by now President Trump. The proper response would have been: "No comment".
Then, had Col Nance imposed such a light sentence, Trump would have been free to slam it.

I'm not familiar enough with the UCMJ to know if the prosecution can appeal such a light sentence or not.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."