Ban the box - CA felons get a break

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Weetabix

Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Post by Weetabix »

Apparently, the CA governor signed a bill to prohibit private businesses from asking potential hires whether they have a criminal record - Ban the box.

I think I'd make a condition of employment that you had to go to gun store, purchase a gun, and bring in the gun and the receipt with serial numbers.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
scipioafricanus

Re: Ban the box - CA felons get a break

Post by scipioafricanus »

Weetabix wrote:Apparently, the CA governor signed a bill to prohibit private businesses from asking potential hires whether they have a criminal record - Ban the box.

I think I'd make a condition of employment that you had to go to gun store, purchase a gun, and bring in the gun and the receipt with serial numbers.
What if you have to get a security clearance for something?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

scipioafricanus wrote:
Weetabix wrote:Apparently, the CA governor signed a bill to prohibit private businesses from asking potential hires whether they have a criminal record - Ban the box.

What if you have to get a security clearance for something?
Then that's NOT the employer asking, it's the GOVERNMENT. HUGE difference!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

This is a good bill if you want to help out white felons and hurt black/Hispanic non-felons. 'Cause that is what common sense says and experience shows it is what happens.

http://time.com/4482150/ban-the-box-uni ... imination/

The Left keeps doing all this stuff to hurt minorities, at some point you have to figure they are doing it on purpose. If it was accidental you would think the law of averages would dictate that occasionally they did something positive for them.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Vonz90 wrote:The Left keeps doing all this stuff to hurt minorities, at some point you have to figure they are doing it on purpose.
The Cannon Fodder of the Revolution ain't gonna motivate itself to charge the machine guns.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

There going to find it does nothing, all they have to do is add "background check required". :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

The bill says you can't background check until you make a job offer.
Fine.
Require a $100 deposit for the background check.
If you pass the check you get the deposit back.
If you fail it's forfeit.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

evan price wrote:The bill says you can't background check until you make a job offer.
Fine.
Require a $100 deposit for the background check.
If you pass the check you get the deposit back.
If you fail it's forfeit.
Pretty sure that's illegal. Also pretty sure this is going to end up in front of the Supremes sooner or later.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I expect that any employers for which this might be an issue to start running credit checks instead, if they already don't. (Or did the PDR of Kalifornia already bar that as well?) Basically, they will find the simplest, lowest cost way to filter out sh**heads.

And what about jobs for which it's actually relevant? Like, say, cops? Teachers? Bank workers? Armored car drivers? Can day cares check applicants against the sex offender database?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Langenator wrote:Can day cares check applicants against the sex offender database?
Next agenda item: normalize pedophilia. Result!
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!