What to do with Puerto Rico?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Weetabix

What to do with Puerto Rico?

Post by Weetabix »

I don't watch TV, so I miss out(?) on a lot. But I was at a restaurant for lunch where they had a big screen on CNN. It was a continuous stream of "Bash Trump!" Most of it was regarding Puerto Rico, but still, all bash Trump.

That got me thinking a bit about Puerto Rico. Haven't there been factions there for years that want to throw off the Yankee imperialist yoke? Why don't we let them?

I could see not making them a state. I'm guessing they'd be an even bigger drain.

But what are our interests there? Strategic? Natural resources? Fear of another Cuba? Apathy?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Re: What to do with Puerto Rico?

Post by Vonz90 »

Weetabix wrote:I don't watch TV, so I miss out(?) on a lot. But I was at a restaurant for lunch where they had a big screen on CNN. It was a continuous stream of "Bash Trump!" Most of it was regarding Puerto Rico, but still, all bash Trump.

That got me thinking a bit about Puerto Rico. Haven't there been factions there for years that want to throw off the Yankee imperialist yoke? Why don't we let them?

I could see not making them a state. I'm guessing they'd be an even bigger drain.

But what are our interests there? Strategic? Natural resources? Fear of another Cuba? Apathy?
To me, we offer to pay off all of their debt if they accept independence, minus Rosey Roads and maybe a couple Islands as payment for us taking on their debt.

It was a bad idea to take them 100+ years ago and it is bad idea to have them now.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Weetabix wrote:Most of it was regarding Puerto Rico, but still, all bash Trump.
Well, to be fair, Trump has been handling Puerto Rico's hurricane woes more or less exactly as well as a WWE gag guest star could be expected to handle it.
Weetabix wrote:Haven't there been factions there for years that want to throw off the Yankee imperialist yoke? Why don't we let them?
Every time they put it to a vote, to push for "let us go" or "make us a state already," the vote fails. There are pros and cons to being a US territory and they're not sure what way would maximize pro and minimize con.
Weetabix wrote:But what are our interests there? Strategic? Natural resources? Fear of another Cuba? Apathy?
It's a piece of land with 3.4 million US citizens living on it. That's about it. Normally, that's really all you need right there.
Last edited by Jericho941 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Weetabix wrote:But what are our interests there?
Baseball players. ;)
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Gunnuts wrote:
Weetabix wrote:But what are our interests there?
Baseball players. ;)
Nah,. they come.from the Dominican Republic....
Rich

Post by Rich »

If they ever opted for independence, about 40% of the Puerto Ricans would move to New York city, to join the ones who are already there.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
evan price

Post by evan price »

Jericho941 wrote:
Well, to be fair, Trump has been handling Puerto Rico's hurricane woes more or less exactly as well as a WWE gag guest....
Um no.
9500 containers of relief aid, logistics support for a marine division, etc.
But the entity receiving the aid needs to....have facilities to distribute the aid, since locals supposedly would know where to send the various things.
Instead the truck drivers went on strike because they wanted extra pay for working the disaster. The dockworkers fell into 'manana, manana' mode.
The mayor of San Juan can't even be bothered to go to the FEMA meetings where things are scheduled and apportioned...but she can find the surviving screen printing shop and have tee-shirts printed to claim Trump is killing them.
Oh and FBI is investigating allegations that relief aid is being held hostage for preferential treatment to political allies and payola.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

evan price wrote:Oh and FBI is investigating allegations that relief aid is being held hostage for preferential treatment to political allies and payola.
Third world crap like this is why they will never be suitable for statehood.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

Make them go be their own country.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Jered wrote:Make them go be their own country.
Yep. Last group off the dock plays "The World Turned Upside Down" (for the irony, don't y'know) and then sail away forever, screening all calls and leaving no forwarding address.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!