Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) Concert shooting

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Rod

Re: Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) Concert shooting

Post by Rod »

Few other points I've picked up over today. GSW were 197, the rest stampede injuries. Also saw that the pictures of him at rallies MAY or MAY NOT be him. Still no mention of affiliations but someone posted a 1987 Florida voter registration that MAY be his showing he voted Democrat. The majority seems to be leaning toward a mental inbalance or a brain tumor like Charles Whitman. I'm still waiting for confirmation on all of these. For fun, go to my Facebook page and see some of the tin foil brigades' latest.

People are trying to use cell phone cam footage to say they can't see his muzzle flashes, others are saying there were muzzle flashes from the 4th floor, some are convinced the guy was using an M240 based on the audio of that crappy cell phone video. For your information, the 4th and 5th floors of the Mandalay Bay are conference rooms and there's no broken windows on either level. I'm betting they are confusing light flashes with gun fire.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
evan price

Post by evan price »

The gun smoke set off the fire alarms in the hotel, so the flashes people are claiming to have seen in other windows have been generally believed to be the strobe lights on the fire alarms.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Greg

Post by Greg »

If there is anything, anything at all to this theory..... I shudder to think what's going to happen when the Medicated Generation (you know, the millions of kids, largely boys, forcibly medicated to make them tractable) finally comes of age.

I believe we've talked about this on these forums before.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Unless "of age" is middle aged or elderly, they've been it for awhile now.
Rich

Post by Rich »

This just in. Fox news (on my tablet) is reporting that the NRA is asking that the approval, that was granted by the Obama Administration, for the use of "Bump Stocks" be reviewed.

Meanwhile the usual suspects are not letting this tragedy go to waste, as they are busily crafting legislation "designed to prevent another such occurrence."
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
AlaskaTRX

Post by AlaskaTRX »

I went on YouTube tonight and watched a couple M240 videos next to some of the cell phone videos and it really sounds more like that instead of a AR-15 being bump fired, if only because the cyclic rate is much closer...
Termite

Post by Termite »

I've never shot an AR15 with a "bumpfire" stock, but I put a whole lot of rounds thru an M16 back in the day. It's hard enough to keep the gun on target on fullauto with a regular stock pulled tight into your shoulder.
Watching a video of a bumpfire AR, it looks like accuracy is very poor at any kind of distance. Of course, when shooting into a huge packed crowd, accuracy isn't needed........................... :roll:

He was just launching bullets.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Rod

Post by Rod »

AlaskaTRX wrote:I went on YouTube tonight and watched a couple M240 videos next to some of the cell phone videos and it really sounds more like that instead of a AR-15 being bump fired, if only because the cyclic rate is much closer...
Something to remember with those cell phone videos. The cell phones themselves are terrible with noise from a distance. They were in an area that would be prone to a LOT of echoes. From the side window, the noise would be echoing off the Luxor. From the front window used, it would be echoing off the facade of the Mandalay Bay as well as possibly off the Four Seasons. I also think that the police and FBI would have a shitfit if there had been an M240 in there. We're talking about someone who's not fit either trying to shoulder fire a 27 pound weapon are using a bipod or tripod to aim down at almost a 60 degree angle. Furthermore, there aren't any links in any of the crime scene photos.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rod wrote:using a bipod or tripod to aim down at almost a 60 degree angle.
Estimating, I get atan(~350' vertical/(~440yds x 3))= ~15 degrees down from horizontal. I'm guessing at the vertical, but the horizontal is from Google Earth.

I don't know off the top of my head how to figure the ballistics, but that angle doesn't sound outrageous.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D