Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) Concert shooting

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Rich

Re: Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) Concert shooting

Post by Rich »

According to my Fox News app on my Kindle, He had both AK-47 and AR-15 semi's and possibly a AR-10, and some were "modified" to be fully auto. The method of modification was speculated but not definitely identified.

My guess is bump.

Also reported is he legally bought a shotgun earlier this year.

Additionally, the reports of prior criminal activity have been pulled, since they apparently conflated him with his father, who was quite the crook in his day.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

That link says 20 min to stop the shooter but elsewhere I am reading that it was 75 min. Anyone know what's right?
Termite

Post by Termite »

Listening to the audio, that is odd full-auto fire. Too slow to be AK or M-16. I've shot AKs, RPKs, M16s, 9mm subguns, belt fed machine guns, even a 10/22 converted to full auto; and that is about the strangest full-auto firing I've heard. A bit like the firing rate of an old M3 "grease gun".

Very odd. Is that how "Hellfire" devices sound on a rifle?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

re: 72 hour rule and not rushing to judgement/conclusions

concur.

Having concurred however, I gotta say I wake this morning thinking this is looking more and more like the first Antifa mass murderer at work. That is to say, if pix of him in pink pussy hats at TrumpDerangementSyndrome rallies are for real.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

blackeagle603 wrote:re: 72 hour rule and not rushing to judgement/conclusions

concur.

Having concurred however, I gotta say I wake this morning thinking this is looking more and more like the first Antifa mass murderer at work. That is to say, if pix of him in pink pussy hats at TrumpDerangementSyndrome rallies are for real.
Agreed on both- not jumping immediately to conclusions, and the tentative working theory being escalation by a crazy person on the other side (like the guy who tried to massacre Congressmen).
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Termite wrote:Listening to the audio, that is odd full-auto fire. Too slow to be AK or M-16. I've shot AKs, RPKs, M16s, 9mm subguns, belt fed machine guns, even a 10/22 converted to full auto; and that is about the strangest full-auto firing I've heard. A bit like the firing rate of an old M3 "grease gun".

Very odd. Is that how "Hellfire" devices sound on a rifle?
I am going to go w. what someone above said. Bumpfire type stock.
Precision

Post by Precision »

I have seen pictures purportedly from a investigating cop or someone else
leaking.

shows an odd bump style stock and a 100 round magpul (or similar) stick mag on an AR.

who knows and who knows if we will ever know. Kudos to LVPD if they are keeping it close to the vest and telling the press to go pound sand. That is what should happen, at least until the investigation makes some headway.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Have also seen pictures. It appears that the asshole ate a smallish revolver.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

An aside on media reporting and perceptions...

His brother said he wasn't an avid gun guy. But given some of the stigma attached to that, how many of us don't share that with everyone we know?

"In his garage, he had a safe the size of a refrigerator."

How many of us here have one of those or aspire to one?

He had 19 guns at his home and 23 in the hotel. Not an excessive total, but the number in the hotel seems odd from a planning perspective. It will be interesting to hear a breakdown, if the ever release one. Seems like more magazines would make more sense than that number of firearms. Odd.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D