Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) Concert shooting

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Netpackrat

Re: Las Vegas (Mandalay Bay) Concert shooting

Post by Netpackrat »

Licensed manufacturer I spoke with while ordering stuff today thought that the cyclic rate was all wrong for true full auto. Said it sounded like bump fire or a crank trigger.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

My initial impression, based on the length of the bursts, was that he was either using drum mags or something belt fed.

But if it was a bump or crank fire that would slow the rate down to 30-40 rounds for bursts of that length.

I haven't seen any videos that show the shooting from start to finish. The longest I saw (I work nights, and just got up) heard 3 distinct long bursts. Was that it, or more?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Anyone hear how many injuries were from rounds and how many from stampeding?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rod

Post by Rod »

72 hour rule applies when shit like this happens. Don't believe anything put out in the first 72 hours because most of it will be wrong. Funny fact though is that his Facebook page disappeared shortly after the first report.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Rod wrote:72 hour rule applies when shit like this happens. Don't believe anything put out in the first 72 hours because most of it will be wrong. Funny fact though is that his Facebook page disappeared shortly after the first report.
Shooter facebook pages get yanked pretty quick.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Weetabix wrote:Anyone hear how many injuries were from rounds and how many from stampeding?
That is what I am wondering as well.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
scipioafricanus

Madame Clinton at 9am on twitter: "The crowd fled at the sound of gunshots.

Imagine the deaths if the shooter had a silencer, which the NRA wants to make easier to get."
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

This whole thing is super weird and seems more like something from James Wesley Rawles or Matt Bracken book than how mass shooters usually act. It obviously required allot more planning and money than attacks like this usually take. That usually points to a person who has something to say with their actions, such as Anders Brevik or the San Bernardino shooters a opposed to a guy who just lost his mind and decided to take an available firearm to a local school and go for the high score.

But as far as we can tell, so far at least, this guy had no agenda, no objective other than a body count. He didn't even go down shooting. This is going to take allot of digging and I don't think we know everything yet regarding motives.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

It sounds like he's been spotted in pics at anti trump rallies wearing a pussy hat. Can't speak to the veracity of those report though....
scipioafricanus

Looks a lot like Charles Whitman.