Global warming?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
blackeagle603

Re: Global warming?

Post by blackeagle603 »

I'm stealing that last bit Greg and plagarizing/adapting liberally. Good stuff.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Jered

Post by Jered »

Last year, Mars was warming up and the polar ice caps were melting. Almost like the sun has something to do with climate change.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Watch Bill Whittle's latest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_RuverrEZ4

I always like to use: "You have a glass of ice water, what happens when the ice melts?"
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

The Mars thing has been known since the late 90s.

According to two pranksters who actually got their paper published in a journal, your penis is the cause of global warming. Go check out my new thread on the topic. :lol:
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
NVGdude

Post by NVGdude »

slowpoke wrote: Climactically the earths cooling caused the desertification of north africa.
The Desertification of North Africa occurred when the continental gap between North and South America closed. This changed the paths of the main large ocean currents. (which are warm).

So correct that it was a lack of warm water, but it had far more to do with ocean current changes that global cooling.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg wrote:
ll that, the shenanigans they have played and continue to play, with our actual recorded temperature data, seems almost trivial. But by itself it's enough to show that these people are scammers not scientists. Scientists don't hide, alter or destroy data.
Nah, of course they do - they are people and that is the kind of stuff people do. I have seen similar stuff happening when engineers do research or problem solve. It is easy to focus on one solution and group think takes over. No doubt they believe their data "corrections" are valid. It is very easy to assume away data that does not agree. What really makes it dangerous is that sometimes it is valid to do it.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Post by Greg »

blackeagle603 wrote:I'm stealing that last bit Greg and plagarizing/adapting liberally. Good stuff.
By all means. I'm just summarizing things I remember reading, there should be reasonable cites for all if that available too if you want to be thorough.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote:
Greg wrote:
ll that, the shenanigans they have played and continue to play, with our actual recorded temperature data, seems almost trivial. But by itself it's enough to show that these people are scammers not scientists. Scientists don't hide, alter or destroy data.
Nah, of course they do - they are people and that is the kind of stuff people do. I have seen similar stuff happening when engineers so research or problem solve. It is easy to focus on one solution and group think takes over. No doubt they believe their data "corrections" are valid. It is very easy to assume away data that does not agree. What really makes it dangerous is that sometimes it is valid to do it. It
Oh sure they do.

But if they do that sort of thing, they have veered away into scammerdom and need to be corrected.

And when you get into situations where important data is entrusted to you, you alter it and 'lose' the originals and retain only your altered version with no clear explanation of exactly how you've altered it and why..... That's much worse than skewing a sample or fudging a curve fit or something.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Global warming is real, the question is, how much of it is caused by humans? Ive heard that mankind is only responsible for 3% of the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, and that carbon dioxide is only 20% of the greenhouse gas effect, the vast majority of it is due to water vapor in the atmosphere.

There is also the fact that we've only been out of the little ice age since 1850, and temp averages have been climbing steady since then.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
randy

Post by randy »

HTRN wrote:There is also the fact that we've only been out of the little ice age since 1850, and temp averages have been climbing steady since then.
Hell, it's only been about 10,000 years since the end of the last full ice age. That's almost nothing in geological terms.

Interesting how so many people that are so " "informed" and "reality based" seem to either not know that or consider it irrelevant.

Some of my skepticism that the powers that be actually have a handle on what's happening, let alone why, is remembering reading all of the studies and articles (in places like Scientific American) about the impending return of the glaciers. NYFC was supposed to be under a mile of ice by now. The trends did not change that fast (a mere 40 years or so) so they a. wrong then, b. wrong now or c. all of the above.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".