Failing schools

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Failing schools

Post by Vonz90 »

https://www.city-journal.org/html/unsay ... 15197.html

The author does not realize it, but all of this is an excellent argument for keeping one's kids out of public schools.
A number of black parents at the meeting spoke poignantly of the hopes that had brought them to the district. “I moved heaven and earth to make sure my child had a chance,” one voluble mother of a 12-year-old pleaded. “I could have lived in a wonderful house in Philly. No way I’m sending my girl to those schools. I’d rather live in a box and let my kid get a good education.”
.... or live where you want to live and pay for the kid's school in the best school for them (or home school them - although that is not an option for all).
TheArmsman

Re: Failing schools

Post by TheArmsman »

Would not be surprised if this school eventually has to close its doors, after all the crap their professors pushed and agitated for.

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/as-mizz ... -students/
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Sounds more like a cultural problem than a school problem.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jered wrote:Sounds more like a cultural problem than a school problem.
It's both. It requires both.

The liberal ideology the school has embraced means it is completely incapable of dealing with problem children in any way. Wrt problem children, it is defenseless.

That would be fine if the school was attended only by well behaved well parented good kids.

Too bad, that's not what's happening here. Feed dysfunctional ghetto kids from the dysfunctional ghetto into a school that has had its ability to protect itself (and the other, good, kids) ruined by dysfunctional liberal ideology, and you have this shit show.

Like how you can live without an immune system right up until the first pathogen comes along. At which point, do you have an immune problem or a pathogen problem? Yes.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Greg

Post by Greg »

More like it's an argument for killing liberals (or just not letting them be in charge of anything) and shunning 'diversity'.

And people from dysfunctional areas escaping into your area, will tend to bring dysfunction with them, in one way or another. Act accordingly.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg wrote:
Jered wrote:Sounds more like a cultural problem than a school problem.
It's both. It requires both.

The liberal ideology the school has embraced means it is completely incapable of dealing with problem children in any way. Wrt problem children, it is defenseless.

That would be fine if the school was attended only by well behaved well parented good kids.

Too bad, that's not what's happening here. Feed dysfunctional ghetto kids from the dysfunctional ghetto into a school that has had its ability to protect itself (and the other, good, kids) ruined by dysfunctional liberal ideology, and you have this shit show.

Like how you can live without an immune system right up until the first pathogen comes along. At which point, do you have an immune problem or a pathogen problem? Yes.
This is true, but I think it is more human nature than a strictly liberal thing. The problem comes when a school has a monopoly and the parents are stuck.

I've seen some weird crap in private schools too, but we just pulled our kids and put them in another one. (Example 1: private/Baptist school our kids were going to when we first moved to Springfield MO that decided they were going to start telling my kids that they were going to hell because they were Lutheran. WTF? Anyway we pulled the boys after a couple months there and put them in the Lutheran school which was a longer drive, but it worked out. Example 2: the HS which my older daughter graduated from went from being a very positive conservative Christian school when she was there to a rather lefty crap school. Youngest daughter will not be going there.)

The problem that the parents/kids in this school have is that they do not have the ability to pull the kids and send them to a better one. There is no market pressure on the staff and there are no options for the students/parents. The worst of both worlds.

The thing of it is, after a certain age, your children's peers have as much influence on your kids as you do. However, you still control who those peers are; or at least you can if you try.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote:
The problem that the parents/kids in this school have is that they do not have the ability to pull the kids and send them to a better one. There is no market pressure on the staff and there are no options for the students/parents. The worst of both worlds.
Quite true. That particular school is failing because of the way it's run, according to liberal orthodoxy. Schools can fail other ways, that's just the way *this* one is failing.

But things do have a tendency to fail, being run by humans and all. The only proper response is to be able to route around the failure, and let the failure wither and die. Monopoly public schools are VERY bad in principle simply because they are monopolies and give you no option to route around failure.

Only two things you can do (short of homeschooling or paying private school tuition, which are not always practical options). Push for vouchers, and/or move to where the schools haven't failed yet (then get as active as you can in that school system to try to prevent failure).

It's not ideal, but it's what we have right now.
The thing of it is, after a certain age, your children's peers have as much influence on your kids as you do. However, you still control who those peers are; or at least you can if you try.
You Have No Idea.

I have stories. They're not pretty. Some of my more complacent liberal friends (who don't have kids) don't BELIEVE them.

Nevertheless, there are very very good reasons why we left Jersey when we did.

Rich

Post by Rich »

Don't forget the state education bureaucracies controlling course materials and standards.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
g-man

Post by g-man »

Mr Carrier, my sophomore Civics teacher in the suburbs of Louisville, KY, would not be able to make it today. There were a number of problems similar to those described in the article, specifically due to the 'normalizing' of demographics (read: busing minority students in from other areas of town). He was old enough, and crotchety enough, and had a stockage of f*cks permanently on zero... so when the race-based brawl broke out one day, he started pitching students from his class INTO his classroom, and stood in the doorway until everything ended. Today that sort of 'just deal with the stupid bullshit as it comes' action set would have one fired before the cops made it in from the parking lot.

The issue isn't entirely about race, but culture and class have HUGE correlation with the problem. Our kids will do preschool, because they need that social exposure. But beyond that, it's homeschool all the way. I refuse to put my kids through the brainwashing apparatus the public school system has become, and SWMBO was a teacher for a decade, and is totally onboard.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

g-man wrote:Mr Carrier, my sophomore Civics teacher in the suburbs of Louisville, KY, would not be able to make it today. There were a number of problems similar to those described in the article, specifically due to the 'normalizing' of demographics (read: busing minority students in from other areas of town). He was old enough, and crotchety enough, and had a stockage of f*cks permanently on zero... so when the race-based brawl broke out one day, he started pitching students from his class INTO his classroom, and stood in the doorway until everything ended. Today that sort of 'just deal with the stupid bullshit as it comes' action set would have one fired before the cops made it in from the parking lot.

The issue isn't entirely about race, but culture and class have HUGE correlation with the problem. Our kids will do preschool, because they need that social exposure. But beyond that, it's homeschool all the way. I refuse to put my kids through the brainwashing apparatus the public school system has become, and SWMBO was a teacher for a decade, and is totally onboard.

Part of it is Busing and that weird order from the Federal Judge 40 years ago that turned all Louisville schools into magnet schools. Massive amounts wasted on transportation. Two hour bus rides. Yet another Superintendent forced out and the Commonwealth on the verge of taking over the district. Jefferson County Public Schools (Louisville) have become a national joke. That's the main reason the Catholic school system there is so large and powerful.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.