First combat use of MOAB

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
randy

Re: First combat use of MOAB

Post by randy »

rightisright wrote:
scipioafricanus wrote:Did we use this in Iraq 2.0? What is the one that is dropped out of a C130 (big round one, kinda like a big Liberty Bell)?
I know the Daisy Cutter was used Afghanistan. Not sure about Iraq.
BLU-82[/quote]

Used in Iraq during DESERT STORM. Not sure about the '03 ops. Both the GBU-43 and the BLU-82 are deployed from C-130's (usually a special ops variant)
Steamforger wrote:From my limited time in Aviation Ordnance, I was under the impression a "Daisy Cutter" is made when the extended fuse is affixed to the ordnance. As such, any bomb equipped with the proper fuse is a Daisy Cutter.
Same name, different uses. The extend fuses you referenced go back to at least Korea if not WWII. The term generally became used to refer to the BLU-82 after Vietnam.

I think we still had the extended fuses in the inventory, but we didn't do a lot of planning for them in the late 80's early 90's when I was active. I think a lot of the weapons effects attained by the extended fuses (mostly anti-personnel and light anti-material) were being achieved by then with CBUs and FAE.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

As impressive as it is, most humbling to consuder it's like a fly swatter next to the Hiroshima bomb, which was considerably weaker than the Nagasaki bomb.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah. The Davy Crockett's warhead was apparently of a similar yield as the MOAB, and it sounds like it took a lot of testing and design refinement to make a nuke that small that would work reliably.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Netpackrat wrote:Yeah. The Davy Crockett's warhead was apparently of a similar yield as the MOAB, and it sounds like it took a lot of testing and design refinement to make a nuke that small that would work reliably.
Depends on the specific warhead. Apparently the Davy Crockett could have a yield of anywhere from 10-1,000 tons depending on what you loaded it with.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Jericho941 wrote:
slowpoke wrote:But but barrel bombs in syria :roll:
What about 'em?
The zeitgeist was trying to sell them as equivalent to the gas attacks the day after the tomahawk strikes to draw the US further into the conflict in Syria. This kinda silenced that concerted effort.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop