I am going to stop making fun of the French

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
scipioafricanus

I am going to stop making fun of the French

Post by scipioafricanus »

A tour of a American WW1 cemetery in France.

It is simply stunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi_FGV8n7_U
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Langenator

Re: I am going to stop making fun of the French

Post by Langenator »

Colleville-sur-Mer (Omaha Beach) may be the most famous American cemetary overseas, but Meuse-Argonne is the biggest.

Also, the Duoamont Ossuary, which holds the remains of 130,000 unknowns, just from the Battle of Verdun. https://www.verdun14-18.de/en/ossuary-of-douaumont/
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Jered

Post by Jered »

According to what I've heard about France, once you get out of Paris, it's not bad.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

For some more modern French Army fighting, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh7gni5 ... e=youtu.be

(My apologies, it's in French.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
randy

Post by randy »

I assume that doesn't mean we can't continue making fun of the French Government. ;)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Had a professor in college that spent a year in Paris, on some sort of exchange student thing. One day he went into a bookstore, and asked if they had a copy of the French Constitution, only to be told "We do not deal in periodical literature."

With the French government, the jokes pretty much write themselves.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

French troops are brave good fighters. The problem for The French is thay spent all their military leadership talent as a nation on one man. Charles Martel. He did save western civilization though. Amazing skill.
Thus the axiom, the french win when theyre not led by a frenchman.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Jered wrote:According to what I've heard about France, once you get out of Paris, it's not bad.
I was there on '06. Wonderful country if you speak some French. I'm not fluent, but can do simple things...enough to be polite.
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

slowpoke wrote:French troops are brave good fighters. The problem for The French is thay spent all their military leadership talent as a nation on one man. Charles Martel. He did save western civilization though. Amazing skill.
Thus the axiom, the french win when theyre not led by a frenchman.
I wouldn't say that...but I know about guys like Turenne and Vauban.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Passed through France a few times in the '70s. My take is if you're dealing with government officials including their version of Border Patrol or Customs, you can be in for a rough time. Ordinary citizens are usually much more polite, but you still can meet up with the occasional asshole.

Incident #1: Border crossing between Northern Spain and France, pulled over and forced to strip the car to include removing both front and rear seats. Inspector took one very brief glance and said "you can go" then walked off.

Incident #2: Entered a restaurant in the middle of France (not near Paris) and sat there while being ignored by every waiter in the joint. After about 45 minutes, finally gave up, left and continued on down the road and found another restaurant where we had a very good meal.

While stationed in Europe I lived in or passed through West Germany, Spain, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, East Germany (on the road to and from Berlin,where I got mooned by a big ole farm girl in a Trabant (she wasn't the driver)) and several smaller places like Monaco (where I drove the Formula One road course in my Camaro, and came away convinced that if I had been in the actual race I never would have survived. That course is scary.). I was treated well in all those countries except France, and even in France I was treated well usually, especially along the Riviera.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964