I am going to stop making fun of the French

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Re: I am going to stop making fun of the French

Post by Vonz90 »

I have talked to Germans other nationalities who have just as much trouble with random French rudeness as Americans. A lot of them don't get along with much of anyone (applies to the French speaking Swiss too).

I have a friend who is a native French speaker (he is Vietnamese) who was telling me that he went all over France with no issue, but in Paris people would pretend that could not understand him or just refuse to talk to him because they did not like his accent. I have heard Quebecers saying similar things.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Vonz90 wrote:I have heard Quebecers saying similar things.
I have heard Quebecois saying many things, but understood few of them :-) Ca-lice!

Parisiens are like New Yorkers - reknowned for their rudeness. Also like New Yorkers, the rude ones tend to be the blow-ins from elsewhere putting on airs, not the born and bred locals.
Jered

Post by Jered »

I have a friend who is a native French speaker (he is Vietnamese) who was telling me that he went all over France with no issue, but in Paris people would pretend that could not understand him or just refuse to talk to him because they did not like his accent. I have heard Quebecers saying similar things.
But who likes Quebecois? :lol:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Denis wrote:
I have heard Quebecois saying many things, but understood few of them :-) Ca-lice!

Parisiens are like New Yorkers - reknowned for their rudeness. Also like New Yorkers, the rude ones tend to be the blow-ins from elsewhere putting on airs, not the born and bred locals.
I found the Qubecois fairly easy to understand, once you catch on to their rich profanity.
On the otherhand rosetta stone uses parisian accent for their french, and its terrible to understand, and it understands terribly too.
Cajons, well, cant do anything with their dialect...
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

slowpoke wrote:
Denis wrote:

I found the Qubecois fairly easy to understand, once you catch on to their rich profanity.
On the otherhand rosetta stone uses parisian accent for their french, and its terrible to understand, and it understands terribly too.
Cajons, well, cant do anything with their dialect...
I speak no French whatsoever, so I cannot comment on that.

I have some French cousins (half French I suppose, but they pretty much consider themselves all French). I do not recall them ever describing difficulties from their accents from other French types, but they mostly lived near Geneva and live in the US now and I have no idea what kind of accent they have.

I had a coworker a few years ago with a massively Cajun accent, accept he was actually Belgian and had never been anywhere near Louisiana. I thought that was interesting. He said everyone has thought he was from there since he came to the US.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Vonz90 wrote: I had a coworker a few years ago with a massively Cajun accent, accept he was actually Belgian and had never been anywhere near Louisiana. I thought that was interesting. He said everyone has thought he was from there since he came to the US.
Didn't the Cajuns evolve from the French displaced from Nova Scotia as the poem Evangeline describes? They were displaced by Germans (among who were my Hirtle ancestors) invited to settle there by the British king.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Vonz90 wrote: I had a coworker a few years ago with a massively Cajun accent, accept he was actually Belgian and had never been anywhere near Louisiana. I thought that was interesting. He said everyone has thought he was from there since he came to the US.
One of the former tenants of one of my then neighbors was a good ole boy from the backwoods of Louisiana. He sounded like he was from Bay Ridge. :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Denis wrote:[I have heard Quebecois saying many things, but understood few of them :-) Ca-lice!
I shall invoice you for a keyboard, monsieur. :lol:
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Rich wrote:Didn't the Cajuns evolve from the French displaced from Nova Scotia as the poem Evangeline describes? They were displaced by Germans (among who were my Hirtle ancestors) invited to settle there by the British king.
That's about right. One of The Band's many good songs ("Acadian Driftwood") is about that.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!