Cost of Living on the Coasts

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
g-man

Re: Cost of Living on the Coasts

Post by g-man »

Wow.

Hey there, whiny tech bitch... try being an E-4 with a family who gets stationed there. Or in Hawaii. As an O-4 it felt tight, so I KNOW guys further down the pay chart felt the squeeze. Dude needs to change out that daily $8 bagel and coffee order for a nice tall glass of STFU. Plenty of the other folks stationed here near DC choose to pay more and live closer, but we chose to live further out so we wouldn't be on top of our neighbors. Were it not for the express lanes that I can use for free on a motorcycle, we might have tried to live closer. Or I'd be stuck slugging every day, which isn't wonderful, but beats the ever-loving hell out of taking the Metro.

Example: Last time I was stationed here, I paid $1850/mo for a 5-bedroom 3-bath, 3k sqf place out in MD, with a 1.5 car (over-long) garage, and a driveway long enough to park both 4-wheel vehicles in. A buddy I went to college with lived within stumbling distance of a metro stop in NW DC, and paid the same $1850/mo for a 1-bedroom 700sqft apartment, and had to pay another $200/mo for his parking space. My commute was ~1hr on average, but ran from 35min up to 2.5 hours one day. You want to live walking distance to your high-paying tech job? Expect to pay for it.

Oh, and it's CA. Lane-splitting is officially legal there now. Move further out, get a motorcycle, and keep your commute time down. Or don't. You have a CHOICE. The lady working at your kid's daycare doesn't, because she doesn't make enough to rent anything bigger than a closet, or afford a car payment... quitcherbitchin.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
evan price

Post by evan price »

Hmm....2500 sqf house, 2200 sqf barn and workshop, 2 acres, bordered by farm land and i can shoot out my back door...with taxes and insurance escrowed my payment is under $1k monthly. And a 40 minute drive to work.
Life is good.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

G-man I ran some of the numbers from the article and it's pretty embarassing. That guy making 700k a yea it paying less than 1/7th of his pay in rent. The others are in similar situations. Fuck these people.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Kommander wrote:G-man I ran some of the numbers from the article and it's pretty embarassing. That guy making 700k a year is paying less than 1/7th of his pay in rent. The others are in similar situations. Fuck these people.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Or commit to minimalist living close in to work and eliminate car ownership and associated costs. Walk, bike, Uber/Lyft and when needed on occasion rent a car.

I added it up and realized how much of my life has been spent sitting in a car going to/from work. Oy...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

I left Northern NJ for what seems to be the richest (per capita, I believe) county in Missouri. I'm in the best school district in the county, one of the best in the state and you know what that does to real estate prices.

I'm in a 2400 sq ft house (plus mostly finished basement - the unfinished portion is an enormous storage/shop area) on half an acre (it's flat and usable) in a desirable subdivision. My mortgage and property taxes together are less than I was paying for a 2 bedroom apt in NJ that had approximately the same square footage as the finished part of my basement.

Funny thing, in NJ I was in a school district that was the best in its area and one of the best in the state. And the school district I'm in now is absolutely better. So much for inferior red state schools.

While I'm at it..... In NJ I lived in Montville. It's a great town, for NJ. Real housewives of NJ live there. I could tell you how to get to mob wife prison lady's house. It gets near the top of 'best places to live' in the *country* every year.

The place I am now offers a higher quality of life.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Precision

Post by Precision »

When I left NYC in 2002. Our rent stabilized 400 sq ft apt on a 5th floor walk up was $1600 a month. My 6 figure income in NY left me with scraps after taxes etc.

when I moved to Florida, my mortgage was about $1250 PITI for 1/2 acre 2/2 with attached 1/1 mother in law suite on half an acre. My renter paid $450 a month. Life was way better. In year one in FL I paid myself $45k and had no savings but had gutted and rebuilt the house for cash and bootstrapped a lawn business into existence. Year two had 10k more in earnings and $10k in savings.

Now out in TN my rent is $1500 for a 3/2 with 2 car garage and finished walk out basement. Hyper tight market here, but I am living on about $40k and building. Hoping to buy something next year a bit north or east of town in the 10-20 acre range and will likely get a DIY special but keep a similar monthly nut.

Its all about priorities. Mine are not daily lattes, a short commute and virtue signalling. imagine that.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Greg

Post by Greg »

Precision wrote:When I left NYC in 2002. Our rent stabilized 400 sq ft apt on a 5th floor walk up was $1600 a month. My 6 figure income in NY left me with scraps after taxes etc.

when I moved to Florida, my mortgage was about $1250 PITI for 1/2 acre 2/2 with attached 1/1 mother in law suite on half an acre. My renter paid $450 a month. Life was way better. In year one in FL I paid myself $45k and had no savings but had gutted and rebuilt the house for cash and bootstrapped a lawn business into existence. Year two had 10k more in earnings and $10k in savings.

Now out in TN my rent is $1500 for a 3/2 with 2 car garage and finished walk out basement. Hyper tight market here, but I am living on about $40k and building. Hoping to buy something next year a bit north or east of town in the 10-20 acre range and will likely get a DIY special but keep a similar monthly nut.

Its all about priorities. Mine are not daily lattes, a short commute and virtue signalling. imagine that.
Or status games. Can't forget that. Much of the appeal of living in a place like NYC directly or indirectly boils down to 'doing so is higher status than not doing so'.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr