A modest Proposal

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
scipioafricanus

Re: A modest Proposal

Post by scipioafricanus »

HTRN wrote:
scipioafricanus wrote:They WILL sue a church to demand they get married there. It is coming, although a mosque would be more fun.
It wont happen, that whole pesky " freedom of religion" issue with the first ammendment wont let them.
You are forgetting the whole idea going around, like the case above, that your "religious freedom" doesn't allow you to discriminate against protected classes. The same people that make the Little Sisters of the Poor pay for abortions and birth control will do this as well.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

So, some people's religions ARE allowed to discriminate? I wonder when disparate enforcement will become a winning argument.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

There was a ballot proposal in Colorado this past November that had to do with this topic. I think they wanted to make it illegal for "chain gangs" to work. They called it something like indentured servitude of some such nonsense. The thought was even prisoners should not be compelled to work against their will. If I remember right, it failed.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
BDK

Post by BDK »

HTRN, those suits are pretty well guaranteed. In CA, there were already civil unions with the same legal status as a marriage.

My con law prof suspected the only reason for such an intense fight was to lay the groundwork for suing folks for not performing such ceremonies.

It is a basis for an intense attack on religion/letting lots of lawyers have a basis for attacking various religious groups.