So How's That Evacuation Order Working Out For You?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Old Grafton

So How's That Evacuation Order Working Out For You?

Post by Old Grafton »

Ordered Friday afternoon about 5PM; 200,000 people hit the road which (predictably; where's Aesop?) turned all roads into parking lots. Last thing I read as of 7AM Eastern indicated there are still folks without shelter or still stuck on roads; anyone have more current info? The media are strangely slow on updates for this....
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Weetabix

Re: So How's That Evacuation Order Working Out For You?

Post by Weetabix »

I'm thinking if a cop showed up at my door and said:

"Yo, doood! The 770' dam just upstream of here is about to break in about and hour or so."

I'd probably skedaddle. Of course, I'm not sure I'd buy a house below a dam, either. :roll:
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

The Butte County website is keeping up with the developments well from what I've seen.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

been following the epic thread on that other board. Lots of gems from kali on this. they're not covering themselves in glory, thats for sure. I perticularly liked the orwellian renaming of the emergency spill way to auxillary spillway :roll:
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

The pic from the mid 90's with the repair trucks in the spot that eroded last week, and the rumors a lot of rebar was left out are telling. It's sounding like they knew they had an issue for a very long time but back-burnered it in favor of other things.

In better news I do not expect to be deployed to this one.
Jered

Post by Jered »

There's some rebar in the debris.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Old Grafton wrote:Ordered Friday afternoon about 5PM; 200,000 people hit the road which (predictably; where's Aesop?)
Given his comments with regard to the victims of the Oso mudslide, it would be fitting if he were living in the flood plain below a dam.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Netpackrat wrote:
Old Grafton wrote:Ordered Friday afternoon about 5PM; 200,000 people hit the road which (predictably; where's Aesop?)
Given his comments with regard to the victims of the Oso mudslide, it would be fitting if he were living in the flood plain below a dam.
This is going on north of Sacramento while both Aesop and for the moment I live in Orange County, which is just south of LA. I realise that California's geography might not seem important to some of you now, but it will become so once California secedes and the United States invades.
Jered

Post by Jered »

John Ringo wrote a post about this.

According to some of the commenters, that dam was originally designed to be used as a generator, and that the water level was supposed to be managed by the power generation.

Here's a picture of the spillway from before these problems started. Look at the bottom of it.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I'm currently in the process of moving my parents from Medford, OR down to Dallas. We stayed outside of Mt. Shasta last night, just to the north of this fiasco. We were considering whether to take I-5 and then 80 over to Reno, but after seeing the articles on Drudge about this last night we decided we didn't want to be anywhere near it, and took 89/44/395 through Reno on a much quieter drive instead.

Staying in Tonopah tonight. Pretty sure we were overflown by two sets of stealth hawks at dusk, because they were nearly on top of us and we didn't hear a thing that resembled a helicopter.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL