So How's That Evacuation Order Working Out For You?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Malthorn

Re: So How's That Evacuation Order Working Out For You?

Post by Malthorn »

More pictures of the spillway available here - http://pixel-ca-dwr.photoshelter.com/ga ... e-Spillway
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

So at what point can we note California might want to spend less on illegals/ social welfare and more on infrastructure improvements?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
g-man

Post by g-man »

scipioafricanus wrote:So at what point can we note California might want to spend less on illegals/ social welfare and more on infrastructure improvements?
We've been noting it for years... the more important question is when / whether CA might stumble on this blinding flash of the obvious...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Also worth noting is that during Ft. Peck's spill in 2011 the spillway held up just fine. The problem they had was the water eroded a hole in the shale at the end of the spillway that could potentially undermine it at the stilling basin. It was suspected that an undermining at the end could cause an "unraveling" of the spillway working back towards the gates.

Ft Peck

The spillway held up, certainly had portions placed during Montana winter, and is almost 30 years older than Lake Oroville Dam.

I have tons of pics on the new construction at Peck on a different computer. I'll see if any are worth uploading.

ETA- We spilled ALL day yesterday. This is extremely unusual as we don't normally start this until March/April timeframe and running through to May/June. It might be a weird spilling season for a lot of dams this year.

Here is a pic of Oroville's Spillway somewhat dry. The end of the concrete is squared over bedrock where the bed rock acts as rip rap to ostensibly prevent erosion under the discharge end. As far as I can tell this was working as intended and I haven't heard anything said otherwise. The giant hole eroded in the middle of the spillway is what started the shitshow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the St. Francis dam disaster:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Francis_Dam

This was the dam designed by Mulholland that failed in spectacular fashion back in 1928. Killed a bunch of people, and ruined Mulholland's career.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Jered

Post by Jered »

Steamforger wrote: Here is a pic of Oroville's Spillway somewhat dry. The end of the concrete is squared over bedrock where the bed rock acts as rip rap to ostensibly prevent erosion under the discharge end. As far as I can tell this was working as intended and I haven't heard anything said otherwise. The giant hole eroded in the middle of the spillway is what started the shitshow.
I wonder what the timeline is for that versus the google maps image.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Jered wrote:
Steamforger wrote: Here is a pic of Oroville's Spillway somewhat dry. The end of the concrete is squared over bedrock where the bed rock acts as rip rap to ostensibly prevent erosion under the discharge end. As far as I can tell this was working as intended and I haven't heard anything said otherwise. The giant hole eroded in the middle of the spillway is what started the shitshow.
I wonder what the timeline is for that versus the google maps image.
Unknown.

Here is a nice video of us during a normal spill. Apples to oranges, I know. Still terribly interesting stuff though.
Last edited by Steamforger on Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

bad link
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

Rumpshot wrote:bad link
Replaced it with another spill video. I'll have to see if I can rip that other one out of FriendFace.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

California or not, I do feel bad for the people who live nearby.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds