Who Pays? Where Does the Airfare Come From? UPDATE

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Old Grafton

Who Pays? Where Does the Airfare Come From? UPDATE

Post by Old Grafton »

Right now there is much whining that the Pore an' Starvin' are being locked out of the US even though they had tickets to fly, are stranded in Nairobi, etc. You can't ride on top or bottom of a train to get here from there, a rusty Liberian fishing smack can't make it across the Atlantic and so on. So they have to fly, and not in Cessna 150's either. Even peasant class air tickets are damn costly, and I find it hard to believe that shiploads/boatloads/tens of thousands of refugees dumped by pirates all over the Mediterranean coastlines have enough scratch hidden from their smugglers to buy a ticket on an airliner. A few percent, maybe, but the vast numbers being tossed around? Who's funding this? Evil Soros? Charles Schumer? (Ha! HE wouldn't bail out his mother.....)
Last edited by Old Grafton on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Denis

Re: Who Pays? Where Does the Airfare Come From?

Post by Denis »

The Saudis...?
Jered

Post by Jered »

If they're worried because they can't afford an airfare to get home, they shouldn't be allowed to come here in the first place.

7A1. 275. We cancel your visa or you can't come for five years.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Most people who leave the country for business or vacation budget enough for the return trip, not necessarily having to fly back to that destination for a reason.

The problem with the travel ban wasn't just that it was "no Muslim refugees from x or y" but it also shut out US permanent residents, among others.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

They appear to have clarified that legal permanent residents are allowed back in.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

I guess I wasn't sufficiently clear--I understand that if greencard holders and legal residents have any brains they'll have round tickets, passports jajajaja... etc--I'm talking about the supposedly desperate-at-all-costs-stranded-in-Europe/Africa-I-gotta-get-to-'Merica-from-this-shithole-war-zone-etc.-where-we're-all-starving-so-we-can-vote-Hillary hundreds of thousands the libs all want here for Kumbaya. Who's paying for all that airfare?? Some Somali goatherder bringing in his four wives and eleven chilluns has enough dinars for sixteen economy-class tickets to the promised land? I call bullshit. These refugees aren't all stowing away in steerage on Carnival Cruise Liners to get here--Somebody is fronting this; who is it?
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Sometimes churches. That wasn't enough to turn me away from Jesus. It has turned me away from most organized religion.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

Yeah, if the government itself isn't bringing them in, it's usually churches (and synagogues, and mosques) and NGOs.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/44 ... cale-small

Since we are only talking about impacting a few people, I am not sure I get the point of this (politically). I would rather use that political capital for something longer lasting with a wider scope of impact.

The refugee cutback is probably a better play both because it is easier to defend (not that it is inherently a better policy, it is just easier to defend politically) and it has a wider impact.

I am assuming there is going to be a second step here; "the extreme vetting" etc. It will be interesting to see where it goes.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »