Trump's Speech

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Darrell

Trump's Speech

Post by Darrell »

I give him an A:

https://youtu.be/lRRd10JjkBA

Now let's see if he can follow through. I have to imagine the bile was burning in Obummer's throat a time or three.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Cybrludite

Re: Trump's Speech

Post by Cybrludite »

Some folks are making a big deal over George Will panning the speech, to which I say, "A Washington insider didn't like a speech that calls out Washington insiders? I'm shocked, shocked!"
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

George Will? You mean the George Will who attempted to piss on the Donald during the campaign? That George Will? :roll:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... -will.html
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Termite

Post by Termite »

The little bit I saw of it(was working, and things weren't going so well on the platform) made me chuckle at how he pointed out that the Washington "establishment", GOP and DNC, had failed the general American public.

The Beltway bunch needs to read this book: Flyover Nation: You Can't Run a Country You've Never Been To

Whether corndogs at an Iowa county fair, or gumbo at a Louisiana festival, the "coasties" need to come experience them; and meet the farmers who are up at daybreak, and the oilfield workers who go on tower at 0500.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

"We need term limits!" We HAVE term limits. They're called elections. That being said, how can people bitch about their elected officials, give the Congress a 14% approval rating, and yet keep electing the same bunch of assholes over and over for twenty or thirty years?
"Have I ever told you the definition of insanity?"- Vaas Montenegro
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Odahi wrote:"We need term limits!" We HAVE term limits. They're called elections. That being said, how can people bitch about their elected officials, give the Congress a 14% approval rating, and yet keep electing the same bunch of assholes over and over for twenty or thirty years?
Love a Far Cry reference.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Odahi wrote:"We need term limits!" We HAVE term limits. They're called elections. That being said, how can people bitch about their elected officials, give the Congress a 14% approval rating, and yet keep electing the same bunch of assholes over and over for twenty or thirty years?
Because the pols have everyone convinced that "MY guy is great. It's all the others that suck."

Now I wonder: Will Trump get nothing done because he alienated all of them or will he started selling the speech to individual congresscritters and pull them on board so they can sell themselves to their constituents?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

There was good and bad in the speech. I hope I am wrong, but I do not think Trump is particularly conservative and his speech did not strike me as particularly conservative.

I have seen some speculation that because of his extreme contrarian streak, Trump is moving right because he is getting so much flak from the left. I guess I will take it but it does not seen sustainable.

I guess we will see.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

Trump is not and never has sold himself as a conservative. Despite the paranoia of the left he has no interest in conservative social issues such as gay marriage and abortions. This election cycle was VERY light on the issues and built almost entirely around the personalities of those running for office. When Trump did focus on issues it was almost always on Illegal immigration, terrorism, jobs and the economy.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

If he improves or fixes even one of those, his term will be a success.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.