Traffic engineering

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
HTRN

Re: Traffic engineering

Post by HTRN »

All I can say is, im not surprised. :(
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Termite

Post by Termite »

PawPaw wrote: I much preferred the strippers in the O-clubs.........
You had strippers in O-clubs back then?!?!?!
By the time I hit the O-club scene(1987), all we had at Mother Rucker were local gals looking for a future Army pilot husband, and "hunter-killer" teams.....
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Termite wrote:
By the time I hit the O-club scene(1987), all we had at Mother Rucker were local gals looking for a future Army pilot husband, and "hunter-killer" teams.....
Yeah, we had those gals (hunter-killer teams) at Knox, too, although why anyone would want to date/marry a Cavalryman is beyond me. Actually, the only place I saw strippers at the O-club was at Dix. We didn't have them at Knox. What we had a Knox were the local gals looking for a husband, or the Korean gals who worked on post, had already divorced a soldier and wanted a place to party. With all the Armor school classes rotating through, the casual bar a the O club was a happening scene and you could find a party in there every night of the week.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Traffic engineering = social engineering = "deny those fucking proles the stuff we want as perks" :twisted:
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
randy

Post by randy »

PawPaw wrote: What we had a [strike]Knox[/strike] Mather were the local gals looking for a husband. With all the [strike]Armor[/strike] Nav school classes rotating through, the casual bar a the O club was a happening scene.
Modified to match my experience in 80's. I actually did meet my eventual CINCHOUSE there, but she wasn't a local girl (nurse assigned to the base hospital) and it took several years to develop.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

George guy wrote:My urban planning pipe dream: A ring of well-secured parking garages around the outskirts of the city that bundle a bus/subway day pass with your parking.
Been thinking about this, and decided to respond.

The problem is that property near the city would be expensive and congested, so those parking garages will be expensive and will take a long time to get to. If you put them further out the commute into the city becomes long (which is exactly what happens in the suburbs, where I live).

I'll use myself as an example. According to google maps, it's 24 miles (driving, so somewhat less as-the-crow-flies) from where I live in Bergen County, NJ to where I work in Brooklyn, NY. Also according to google, the drive would take me nearly an hour (now at 1:00 in the afternoon, I imagine it would be much longer during rush hour, and forget about bad weather/accidents/assholes on the road), the bridge toll is $15 (round trip). And if I drove in I'd have to park somewhere, risk my car being broken into if I park on the street, or pay thru the nose for a lot.

Instead, I park in the lot at the train station (town residents only, maintained by my tax dollars, and I still pay about $200 a year for a parking sticker). I pay $186 a month for a train ticket (which I get pre-tax, because the government sometimes lets me keep a little of the money I make), which takes me to Hoboken, NJ. From there I take a Path train ($84 for 40 trips, so 20 days worth, or roughly a month) and then a subway for $2.75 each way ( $110 for a 20 work-day month, and I actually get a discount if I put more than $20 on the card at one time, I get $45.65 if I put $40 on the card.). The commute takes me AT LEAST an hour and a half each way, and two hours is common enough not to be noteworthy.

And that's for a 24 mile trip.

So suppose I drove to Hoboken, right across the Hudson River from Manhattan and about 18 miles from my front door? Still have to park, and parking in Hoboken would be a nightmare (unless, again, I pay to park in a lot). Traffic around Hoboken is a special Hell at the best of times, if a lot more people started parking there it would be worse.

And we still haven't addressed the "well secured" aspect of the proposal.

And the folks who live on Long Island have it even worse.
Termite

Post by Termite »

There's something to be said for an elevated monorail, with multiple down-town stops.

Hey, it works in Disney World......... :mrgreen:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Some real traffic engineering that pisses me off: local traffic lights used to operate with cameras tied into the system. I could, for example, turn left at a light onto a busy thoroughfare. I'd hit the next red light and get synced to the signals, then drive for miles and miles, with green lights all the way. It worked well. Local traffic engineers changed the system a few years ago so that, say, instead of north and southbound lights cycling at the same time, one side gets left turn and forward lights, while the opposing side waits, then finally gets a left signal and forward before east and west get their turn, the cycle then repeating. I am spending a lot more time sitting at red lights, wasting gas and time. It's frustrating and irritating. The engineers claim it's better, of course. :evil:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

PawPaw wrote:
Termite wrote:
Yeah, we had those gals (hunter-killer teams) at Knox, too, although why anyone would want to date/marry a Cavalryman is beyond me. Actually, the only place I saw strippers at the O-club was at Dix. We didn't have them at Knox. What we had a Knox were the local gals looking for a husband, or the Korean gals who worked on post, had already divorced a soldier and wanted a place to party. With all the Armor school classes rotating through, the casual bar a the O club was a happening scene and you could find a party in there every night of the week.
I heard tell of strippers at the Benning O-club, or at least the low-rent, let the LTs be rowdy and messy part called the I-Bar, but they were long gone by the fall of 1996. Word was that they had been run out by some CG's wife getting her panties in a bunch over the idea. But by that point, the whole Army club system was well into it's long decline, brought on by anti-DUI policies and the loss of top-level tolerance for drunken and rowdy behavior.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Traffic engineers are the only people in the world who can turn a 20-minute commute into a 40-minute commute, and call it an improvement. Probably a good thing that nobody knows who they are, or there'd be a bounty on them!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom