Traffic engineering

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
blackeagle603

Re: Traffic engineering

Post by blackeagle603 »

There's something to be said for an elevated monorail, with multiple down-town stops.

A bike on the back of my car, drive to the home side of a choke point, park, drop bike off rack, ride to office. Get there with a grin and more or less the same total time.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

First Shirt wrote:Traffic engineers are the only people in the world who can turn a 20-minute commute into a 40-minute commute, and call it an improvement. Probably a good thing that nobody knows who they are, or there'd be a bounty on them!
I'm pretty sure if I ever met the person in charge of such things around here, I would wind up in jail.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:
First Shirt wrote:Traffic engineers are the only people in the world who can turn a 20-minute commute into a 40-minute commute, and call it an improvement. Probably a good thing that nobody knows who they are, or there'd be a bounty on them!
I'm pretty sure if I ever met the person in charge of such things around here, I would wind up in jail.
Near me they still build and alter roads with the goal of improving traffic flow.

It's really nice to finally live someplace where the folks in charge aren't always going out of their way to show me just how much, and in how many ways, they hate me. (Grew up in NYC, went to school and started working life in metro Boston area, then moved to Northern NJ suburbs of NYC before moving to America.)

It gets tiresome.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
MiddleAgedKen

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that traffic was being engineered to try to drive (you should pardon the expression) people from cars to mass transit and/or bicycles, the more so if Bloomberg and DeBeria are involved. It's of a piece with the New Urbanist program advocated mainly by bitter misanthropes such as James Howard Kunstler (hawk ptooey).

As an aside, a friend of mine is a fan of Kunstler. Unsurprisingly, his favorite novel is A Confederacy of Dunces. The protagonist of the novel, one Ignatius Reilly, will appeal to you if you think Holden Caulfield is just too with-it, mature, and noble to be believed (compared to Reilly, Caulfield is Aragorn son of Arathorn).
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Netpackrat wrote:
Traffic engineers react to moving cars the way beavers react to running water. "My God! It's moving I have to stop it!"
Traffic engineers nowadays ascribe to a philosophy called "Traffic Calming". It's the idea that slower traffic is safer traffic. It's been the prevailing philosophy for about 25 years now. Coincidentally as more places are subjected to traffic calming, road rage has become more common.
I have nothing nice to say about traffic engineers and think that Falstaff (or Pistol) would have said, "the first thing we do is kill all the traffic engineers", if they had existed in their day.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

That would be Madison City AL's. Hes either intentionally bad(what i expect) or is completely ignorant of traffic engineering concepts. https://www.madisonal.gov/index.aspx?NID=113. Gary Chynoweth.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
George guy

Post by George guy »

Every 10 minutes you rob from 5 million people amounts to 95 years of combined lifetime.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'