A well regulated militia

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

A well regulated militia

Post by Vonz90 »

Not here, In Estonia:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/world ... .html?_r=2

Of course my attitude with the Baltic states is ef'em other than I don't want to see Russia benefit from them being 'effed.
dfwmtx

Re: A well regulated militia

Post by dfwmtx »

I've been seeing similar articles about Lithuania and Poland recently as well.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Good on 'em. That should be a subset of CMP training too, not just fat gunshow guys profiteering off the sales of surplus rifles.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Old Grafton wrote:Good on 'em. That should be a subset of CMP training too, not just fat gunshow guys profiteering off the sales of surplus rifles.
+1 !!!!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Had liberty loving Estonian friends growing up that had lost a lot at the hands of the Russians. More power to them.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
randy

Post by randy »

Donald J. Trump, the Republican presidential candidate, said European members of NATO should not count on American support
Unfortunately that goes much deeper and further in the past than The Donald. Just ask the survivors (if you can find them) of Brigade 2506, The Hmong, various groups in Africa in the 70's, the Shia in Southern Iraq in 91, etc. My advice to any insurgency (or government for that matter) is to take whatever you can from Uncle Sam with as few strings as possible, but be prepared to tough it out on your own when the chips start falling and never rely on the US to bail you out, even if they set you up in the business in the first place.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Vonz90 wrote:Of course my attitude with the Baltic states is ef'em other than I don't want to see Russia benefit from them being 'effed.
For their part, I doubt if they want the German nobility back any more than they want the Russians.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Netpackrat wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:Of course my attitude with the Baltic states is ef'em other than I don't want to see Russia benefit from them being 'effed.
For their part, I doubt if they want the German nobility back any more than they want the Russians.
Meh, who wants to go back (my grandparents were the last to have li ed there anyway.) It was their loss.

I just don't see a reason to cut a ton of slack to them when their first move with independence was essentially to start ethnic cleansing.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Vonz90 wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:
Meh, who wants to go back (my grandparents were the last to have li ed there anyway.) It was their loss.

I just don't see a reason to cut a ton of slack to them when their first move with independence was essentially to start ethnic cleansing.
Maybe they took Woodrow Wilson too seriously.

Nobody likes foreign masters.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
BDK

Post by BDK »

Given what Finland did to the Soviets and how well it's worked for Switzerland I don't know why every European nation doesn't embrace this.

It's really the only cheap way to proof yourself against invasion... though it also would make it harder to surrender to the invader in exchange for beneficial terms...