Hurricane Matthew

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
randy

Hurricane Matthew

Post by randy »

Here's hoping that our members in the path ride it out with no problems.

Please check in here to let us know how things are going, and, of course, as always, if there is anything we can do to help.

For the radio geeks out there, the Hurricane Watch Net is active on 14.325.00 MHz.

Anyone in the US should be able to pick it up on a shortwave receiver with a decent antenna. Our Euro members may or not be able to hear depending on propagation.

If you have an amateur license and are outside the impact zone, monitor all you want, but do not check in or otherwise transmit unless asked for by net control.

If you are inside the impact zone, please review the net guidelines at the reference website before attempting to pass information.

73 and good luck
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Precision

Re: Hurricane Matthew

Post by Precision »

I am right in the first landfall path. Not evacuating unless it becomes suicide not to. I have to be here for the kids and they are not evacuating. They have moved further inland with friends, but are roughly in the same line of path as me.

Usually (in the US) hurricanes mess up buildings and only kill the dumb and unlucky. Here's to hoping I am neither.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BDK

Post by BDK »

Not looking too bad for us, and we have things at work to deal with that make leaving a bit hard - my house and work are both well above sea level, and the winds aren't projected to be too bad.
tfbncc

Hurricane Mathew

Post by tfbncc »

Well, it looks like this storm is going to be more of a nuisance than most people thought After last month's storm, which was more of a non-event than anything, a lot of people are kind of being complacent. I am taking it serious enough to lay in water, food, and extra fuel for the camp stove and lanterns. The car is full of gas and ready to go. I live in the Jacksonville area, far enough away from the St. John's river that I don't have to worry about the river rising with the storm surge. Mostly all I have to worry about is loss of power (normal) and maybe a tree falling down on my apartment building. Current forecast in my area is lotsa rain and 50-75 mph winds.

Alternate survival plan: Waffle House will be staying open throughout the storm unless conditions get really bad. I'll just plant myself there for awhile until the storm passes.

To everyone else in the coastal area: Stay safe and dry and keep the roof on. I'll be back on the board after the weekend.

Ray
randy

Re: Hurricane Mathew

Post by randy »

tfbncc wrote:Alternate survival plan: Waffle House will be staying open throughout the storm unless conditions get really bad. I'll just plant myself there for awhile until the storm passes.
Fox News Article on Waffle House disaster prep
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
evan price

Post by evan price »

The comments are typically inane.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
randy

Post by randy »

Didn't even look at the comments, but then I rarely do on news media sites

ETA: Went back and looked and realized that with NoScript running on FireFox, I can't even see the comments on the Fox site.

And I'm OK with that.
evan price

Post by evan price »

randy wrote:Didn't even look at the comments, but then I rarely do on news media sites

ETA: Went back and looked and realized that with NoScript running on FireFox, I can't even see the comments on the Fox site.

And I'm OK with that.
"Evil corporation forcing workers to stay open in hellishly dangerous conditions when nobody is going to come anyway but greed forces them to not evacuate. And there won't be any power food water or roof and they will all die needlessly."
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Precision

Post by Precision »

In my area we were predicted 85-120 mph winds. Matthew stayed about 20 miles further east then predicted and I had max sustained winds of about 50 mph with gust up to 70ish. All told a big to do about nothing in my area. I know other areas were hit much stronger.

I had one plant topple, lots of branches hit the roof, but no obvious damage. The worst thing was an idiot driver who pulled out in front of me earlier in the day. Minor damage to the truck -- major damage to her passenger side. I was on the way to help someone put up hurricane shutters. Immediate punishment for a good deed. Good news, I don't have to wait for it.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Precision, glad to hear you made it through without much trouble. Up here, winds in the 40-50mph gust range. A lot of rain. My biggest worry was the ground becoming too over-saturated to hold up the pine trees in my backyard. We had one lady killed when a tree came down on her home. So far that's the worst of it that I have heard. St. Augustine looked like it was underwater as the storm went past. Flooding in the streets several feet deep. Hope everyone else is alright.

Ray