Debt Kills (again)

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
blackeagle603

Debt Kills (again)

Post by blackeagle603 »

yeah, that's what has done in Cabelas. Debt.

Good overview here.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
First Shirt

Re: Debt Kills (again)

Post by First Shirt »

While in Omaha this past June, one of the granddaughters (who is not into outdoorsy stuff at all) told us that Bass Pro Shops was buying out Cabelas. While at the store in LaVista (a suburb, sort of, of Omaha) we asked, and everybody assured us that that would never happen. Guess the kid was smarter than we gave her credit for!!!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

We've visited the Mother Ship in Sidney a few times (once routed a trip to ensure we were in striking distance).

They've just opened a new store here in Dayton, as well as one down near Cinci and over in Columbus in the past few years. I was wondering if the market was going to sustain that many stores that close. Apparently, not very well. All that new retail space contributed to the debt mentioned in the article.

Not familiar with Bass Pro, never lived near one or was traveling close enough to stop by. I've been buying from Cabelas's for over 30 years. Hope they maintain some level of quality and selection.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Meh. Cabela's B&M stores are overpriced. We don't have Bass Pro round these parts, so I can't comment on their prices. I occasionally buy ammo from Cabela's when they have a killer sale, but just about everything else they sell, I can get cheaper elsewhere online.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I'm really bummed, because Cabelas has always had a far better selection of ammo, reloading equipment, and guns than Bass Pro ever had, and Cabelas prices were mostly market competitive, while the guns at Bass Pro are close to MSRP. If Bass Pro pushes their store philosophy on the Cabelas locations, it will be a big loss.

A friend of mine just got hired on at the Cabelas in Allen, TX working full time on boats and the other vehicles they sell. I hope the corporate folks don't start with mass layoffs to fix a debt problem.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

My hometown was just under an hour away from the Hamburg store. Big, beautiful, clean, and stocked full of things that I wanted.

Every Bass Pro that I've ever been to looked like it was staffed by Katrina refugees that took their sense of hygiene and personal responsibility with them to work. Junk everywhere, poorly laid out, high prices, and cheap selections. It's like the WalMart of outdoors stores. Cabelas was more like a Target.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Since they opened a couple years ago, the Cabela's in Anchorage has had by far the best selection of ammo in town, and usually the best prices. Same for reloading stuff. Bass Pro not so much. Bass Pro is only 5-10 minutes from my house, and I will usually drive all the way across town to shop at Cabela's instead.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Took my wife to dinner at BassPro in Cucamonga for our 25th. I do know how to show my girl a good time. :)

Good restaurant. Impressive saltwater tank behind the bar.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah, both stores have neat aquariums here. Bass Pro seems to have a more interesting selection of fish in theirs, but I think Cabela's aquarium itself is nicer, and the fish are overall a lot healthier looking.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Netpackrat wrote:I think Cabela's aquarium itself is nicer, and the fish are overall a lot healthier looking.
But how do they taste?

CC took me to his local Cabelas some years ago. That was certainly one highlight of a trip that was packed with highlights. Great place (and if you look at http://theguncounter.com you can see a photo).