Major train crash NJ

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Greg

Major train crash NJ

Post by Greg »

Does anyone remember how MarkD commutes?

Looks like a train on NJ Transit's Pascack Valley commuter rail line crashed somehow at (into?) its terminal in Hoboken. Mass injuries, huge service disruptions.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Ma ... 49051.html
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Steamforger

Re: Major train crash NJ

Post by Steamforger »

Listening in on the scanner app. They're standing down all first responders who are not already on the scene. The number of injured persons has apparently stopped increasing. A number of first response assets that were already in transit are being asked to stage in Washington State Park. The actual number of casualties is expected from Jersey City Medical Center in about 20 minutes. Structural engineers are onsite and it sounds like they are inspecting buildings affected for stability. Contractors are en route to begin further stabilization of damaged structure and no escalation is expected at this time.

Sounds like they have it well in hand.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Train was the Pascack Valley line train, which is the line I take daily, but it was two trains after mine. I'm perfectly safe, but I have no idea how I'm getting home tonight or to and from work in the foreseeable future.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Glad you are okay, MarkD.

You would think there would be some kind of automated slow-down system in place. Maybe there was and it failed...
randy

Post by randy »

rightisright wrote:Glad you are okay, MarkD..
+1 Thanks for checking in
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Looks like there is not an automated slow down system in place: http://nj1015.com/speeding-hoboken-trai ... j-transit/
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

rightisright wrote:Looks like there is not an automated slow down system in place: http://nj1015.com/speeding-hoboken-trai ... j-transit/
The 2011 crash was a Path train, not NJ Transit.

Something was seriously wrong here. The yard speed limit on the approach to the train station was reduced to 10 or 15 mph a few months ago because of the condition of the tracks, but the reports state that this train was going "at a high rate of speed", and given that it bounced over the bumper on the end of the track, seemed to have bounced up and hit the roof, and traversed another 20 or 30 feet of floor before coming to a stop, I'd bet it was going faster than that.

It's gonna be a shit sandwich for me and my fellow commuters for a while. I'm seriously considering taking off tomorrow. Maybe by Monday they'll have things figured out well enough.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

randy wrote:
x2.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Netpackrat wrote:
randy wrote:
x2.
Yup. Too many around here have been in figurative trainwrecks lately to have someone in a real one.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Netpackrat wrote:
randy wrote:
x2.
Roger that!!! x10
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad