Are you a "super owner"?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).

Are you a superowner?

I own no guns
5%
I'm just getting started (1-2)
3%
I own the average 3 guns
No votes
I'm getting there (4-16)
5%
Superowner! (17 or more)
11%
Superowners are pikers (30 or more)
16%
I'm just here for the brownies
61%

Total votes: 38

Weetabix

Are you a "super owner"?

Post by Weetabix »

Apparently, Harvard and Northeastern Universities are doing some kind of statistical study of gun ownership in America, and as usual, the UK press beats the US press to the punch. Here's an article at The Firearm Blog.

They are saying that gun ownership in America isn't as widespread because of soi disant "super owners" who skew the statistics by owning 17 or more guns.

So, the question is, Are you a superowner?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Jered

Re: Are you a "super owner"?

Post by Jered »

I'm just here for the brownies.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Well, I used to be a super-owner, before that tragic boating accident last year. Technically, I guess, I still own them, but they're unrecoverable.

Where are those brownies?
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Hm. Mine was a tragic canoeing accident in a bottomless gravel pit.

In retrospect, I can't decide whether the poll is a good idea or not. I allowed changing answers to kind of anonymize it.

Oh, well, we'll see what happens.

The more interesting topic may be a discussion of how they conducted the poll: whether the answers were reliable, sample size, and that kind of thing.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Every time I take the ferry between Seattle and Bainbridge Island, I seem to lose a couple more guns. Usually around mid channel. I guess I need to stop handling guns after eating buttered popcorn. If anyone finds them, I'd like them back please.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Look, man, just because I'm a strange visitor from another planet, have a cape and can reassemble older models of Ruger pistols doesn't make me a super owner.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

SoupOrMan wrote:Look, man, just because I'm a strange visitor from another planet, have a cape and can reassemble older models of Ruger pistols doesn't make me a super owner.
I have one I need you to clean for me. :D
Rich

Post by Rich »

If someone would be willing to bankroll me, I would like to become one. ;)
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I suspect a lot of this is a very typical case of not understanding the data being analyzed. (This is a very common problem with people who try to draw conclusions from things they do not understand.)

The "super owner" thing is probably real to a certain extent. But there are other factors. For many years I had 5 or 6 firearms and was great with that (12 gauge, deer rifle, 22 rifle, 1 black rifle and one pistol). I would have "liked" to get more, but it wasn't a priority.

Since that time I went on a buying explosion and bought a bunch of them. Mostly the variations of the same damn things - why? Because I have kids and they needed bang sticks too. (In other families that includes wives but mine doesn't shoot - at least not yet, still working on her). So on paper, yeah I have a lot, in practice I only have one or two more than I did so many years ago, but my kids do have stuff too (who don't show as having anything unless you look at hunting licenses)

You know what, my wife buys the hair care products for everyone in the family too, that does not mean that she is the only one who has access to or uses shampoo.

Meh.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Weetabix wrote:
SoupOrMan wrote:Look, man, just because I'm a strange visitor from another planet, have a cape and can reassemble older models of Ruger pistols doesn't make me a super owner.
I have one I need you to clean for me. :D
I said reassemble, not clean.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds