Shooting at Washington mall

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Vonz90

Shooting at Washington mall

Post by Vonz90 »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/09/24/hu ... -mall.html

They are saying suspect is Hispanic - maybe but he looks Arab or central Asian to me from the pics.
TabascoKid

Re: Shooting at Washington mall

Post by TabascoKid »

Initial Reports say a hunting type of rifle was used but the one video still they posted suggest it might be an SKS.
Jered

Post by Jered »

there was no indication that it was a terrorist act.
Yeah...because some guy just walks into a mall and shoots four women and a man in the makeup department for no reason...

Maybe he's an "Arab-Hispanic."

And that's only about an hour drive from me.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Jered wrote:And that's only about an hour drive from me.
Less than that from my relatives... One of whom works in the school down there that was shot up a while ago.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

On scene witness states 4(ish) shots then 8(ish) more shots. If that count of 12 can be relied on, that is NO hunting rifle unless he did at least 2 mag changes and that assumes a detachable mag and a thin cartridge.

Much more likely it was an SKS or similar with a wood stock, that "makes" it a hunting type rifle to the morons.

Very unlikley he was Hispanic unless this was relationship / family related. Not saying its the muzzrats, but...
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Imagervei

The rifle in the surveillance still looks too short to be an SKS, and if that is a magazine hanging down, it's not big enough to be an AK or AR.

Honestly, it looks to me like a 10/22 with a long mag. If so, that's some impressive lethality from a .22LR.

Edit to add:
a shopper in the women's dressing room in Macy's told the Skagit Valley Herald she heard "what sounded like four balloons popping."
I'm pretty sure an SKS or hunting rifle fired indoors would be a whole lot louder than "balloons popping," which makes my guess of a 10/22 with a long mag look a bit stronger.

Here's my WAG: the shooter's target was his ex-GF, who worked the perfume counter. The other four victims were witnesses/collateral damage.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

That mall is a couple hours north of me.

If that shadow in the picture under the gun is a magazine, I would guess that he's carrying a Ruger 10/22 or possibly a Marlin 795 with blued finish, wood stock and extended mag. If the shadow is just a shadow on the floor, I'll guess Ruger Mini 14 or Mini 30 with 5 round mags.

UPDATE: Suspect in custody in Oak Harbor, WA.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Jered

Post by Jered »

And...he's Arcan Cetin

...and is Turkish, not Hispanic.
Langenator wrote: Here's my WAG: the shooter's target was his ex-GF, who worked the perfume counter. The other four victims were witnesses/collateral damage.
From some of what I've seen, you're actually probably correct.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

And a Hillary supporter according to his twitter page.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Based on radio chatter recorded from the incident, it seems clear that the weapon used was a .22 rifle which was left empty at the scene.

The Wikipedia article for the event says it was a Ruger 10/22, but they don't cite any sources.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD