Attempted beheading in Roanoke, VA

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
D5CAV

Attempted beheading in Roanoke, VA

Post by D5CAV »

Guy shouts "Allah Akbar", and tries to behead a man at an apartment complex in Roanoke, VA: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-08-2 ... g-attacker
During the Saturday stabbing, Farooqui allegedly injured a man and woman at an apartment complex in Roanoke, yelling "Allah Akbar" as he attacked them with a knife, sources told ABC News. Authorities believe he may have been trying to behead the male victim, who was likely picked at random, ABC News was told.
Given that Roanoke is in the "Red" part of a "shall issue" state, I'm surprised he got to the hospital with some knife wounds of his own. Obviously the victim didn't believe in exercising his 2A rights.
While officers were at the hospital with the victims, a male, subsequently identified as Farooqui, came into the emergency room with injuries of his own, authorities said. He met the description of the suspect in the stabbing, and further investigation by police led to his arrest, they said.
If he picked one of my many VA friends, the po-po would just be bagging and tagging Farooqui wherever he managed to bleed out.
It may come as a surprise to Americans who were keenly following their favorite media outlet, that on Saturday, in Roanoke, Virginia, there may have been an attempted ISIS-inspired beheading attempt. Surprising, because virtually nobody covered it.
Of course, it is the religion of peace. Nothing to see here. Move along!
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Steamforger

Re: Attempted beheading in Roanoke, VA

Post by Steamforger »

Inside 21', you're gonna get cut. That's a 1.5 second reactionary gap. For a CCW on an ankle? More like 8 seconds to ID the threat, draw and fire.

Old but relevant.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Steamforger wrote:Inside 21', you're gonna get cut. That's a 1.5 second reactionary gap. For a CCW on an ankle? More like 8 seconds to ID the threat, draw and fire.

Old but relevant.
A lot of people take the wrong lesson from the Tueller Drill. It doesn't demonstrate the futility of trying to beat a knife at 21 feet with a gun, so much as it demonstrates that if you just stand there and try to outdraw a drawn knife with your gun inside that distance, you are probably going to lose. So don't just stand there. Get off the X as you draw, and make the bad guy react to you. Yeah, ankle carry is not going to work so well for this...
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Netpackrat wrote:
Steamforger wrote:Inside 21', you're gonna get cut. That's a 1.5 second reactionary gap. For a CCW on an ankle? More like 8 seconds to ID the threat, draw and fire.

Old but relevant.
A lot of people take the wrong lesson from the Tueller Drill. It doesn't demonstrate the futility of trying to beat a knife at 21 feet with a gun, so much as it demonstrates that if you just stand there and try to outdraw a drawn knife with your gun inside that distance, you are probably going to lose. So don't just stand there. Get off the X as you draw, and make the bad guy react to you. Yeah, ankle carry is not going to work so well for this...

Very true. become a more difficult target. Duck the knife, retreat, move laterally or whatever all while drawing superior firepower, then shoot till movement stops. Check for follow up targets then call the po-po. Way more difficult to do then to say, but train, train, train.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
randy

Post by randy »

Precision wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:A lot of people take the wrong lesson from the Tueller Drill. It doesn't demonstrate the futility of trying to beat a knife at 21 feet with a gun, so much as it demonstrates that if you just stand there and try to outdraw a drawn knife with your gun inside that distance, you are probably going to lose. So don't just stand there. Get off the X as you draw, and make the bad guy react to you.
Very true. become a more difficult target. Duck the knife, retreat, move laterally or whatever all while drawing superior firepower, then shoot till movement stops. Check for follow up targets then call the po-po. Way more difficult to do then to say, but train, train, train.
This.

Did some training where on the fire command I drew and shot at the target in front of me while an instructor to my left and behind the firing line ran up to me from a starting distance of 21 feet and tapped me on the shoulder as he ran past. Out of a half dozen drills I manged to draw, fire and hit the target once before being tapped. And it wasn't the first drill.

Then we did drills with training guns and moved off the X, laterally, retrograde and diagonal and I was pretty much able to buy enough time to draw and "fire" before coming into contact range. (One guy actually moved forward at a diagonal opposite the knife hand and confused the instructor enough he just stopped running for a second)

IIRC, the true lesson of the Tueller Drill was to demonstrate that someone armed "only" with a knife and "over" 20 feet away is still a threat justifying the use of deadly force.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

The forward diagonal was the doctrine that Suarez and his crew eventually settled on after experimentation (this was before he jumped the shark and became all about equipment sales). Moving (even at an angle) towards your adversary seems counter-intuitive at first, but it maximizes your ability to move explosively, and it reduces the bad guy's ability to react quickly enough to your movement. I have done some informal force-on-force using airsoft, and it works. I would recommend some of that sort of training for anyone who hasn't done it.... It really opens your eyes to what works and what doesn't, and also what can be accomplished when you add in movement of your own to the situation.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop