Islam / Police parallel

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
g-man

Islam / Police parallel

Post by g-man »

I can't be the only one here seeing this:

A group which is majority 'OK' has some portion of its membership which commit bad acts against other groups. Others point out said bad acts, and group does nothing to purge bad elements from within its ranks.

Am I talking about U.S. cops, or Islam? Granted, the percentage of douchebaggery within Islam is a LOT higher than within the population of sworn officers here in the U.S. But the general consensus is that there are bad apples in both barrels, and not enough effort to pull those out.

And yet...

Somehow it's no surprise (and maybe even justified, according to some) when angry members of the oppressed group start taking pot-shots at anyone wearing a badge. But God forbid anyone start taking the Muslim world to task on their lunatics. Because that would be racist, or Islamophobic, or somesuch other nonsense.

That said, I don't think the 'problem' in policing in this country is as bad as the media makes out, based on my looking through the data for myself. Is there a problem? Yes. Does it need to be fixed quick, fast, and in a big damn hurry? Absolutely. But it's still not as bad as the media portrays it to be. On the other side of the coin, there is a MUCH bigger problem within Islam than the media paints (again, based on the data), and TPTB are asleep at the wheel.

Yay.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
PawPaw

Re: Islam / Police parallel

Post by PawPaw »

Am I talking about U.S. cops, or Islam?
That's a strawman argument if ever I've seen one. The two are not comparable in any way.

I myself, over the course of my career, have been in on the arrest/conviction of five bad cops. I put them all in jail, or helped out them in jiail. My experience isn't unique. Almost every police officer, if he's had a career over 10 or twelve years, has the same experience.

For example, earlier this month, our agency arrested another one.

The problem, is that often times, a bad cop doesn't reveal himself until after he's made national news. Like this jazzbo, who shot a man in the back. You can scream "bad cop" all you like, but he's been indicted in both state and federal courts. I'd bet that none of his supervisors knew that morning that he'd go out and shoot someone in the back. Just as criminals don't often telegraph their moves, neither do bad cops. We tend to find out after the fact.

Not all "bad cops" deserve the moniker. I know that when Darren Wilson confronted MIchael Brown, he didn't know how horribly bad it would go quickly. Officer Wilson's reactions that day have been thoroughly analyzed by experts from all over the country, and he was exonerated very thoroughly. He did it right that day, yet he was hounded out of police work, based on a lie.

And, let's not even talk about those four poor cops in Baltimore who happened to be on duty when Freddie Gray decided to die. They've been tried in the courts on a witch-hunt to placate the bread-and-circus masses, yet each of them has bee acquitted.

There's no reason to engage in a strawman argument. We routinely arrest bad cops, but often times the vast majority of America neigher sees nor cares. It's just the cops doing our jobs.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
BDK

Post by BDK »

Bad apples will always be drawn to police work for various reasons. If nothing else, so long as there is crime, there will be money in being a mole.

So police always will, and always have, in varying degrees, have to root them out.

There may have been/and may be, some departments which turn cops into crooks. There have been in the past - hence the purge of the NYPD years back.

Islam is founded on the life of a mass-murdering pedophile. Until that monkey is faced, all else is self-deception
g-man

Post by g-man »

Absolutely not trying to construct a strawman here... I just see the parallel in reportage "Islam is peaceful, it's just some radicals", and "Most cops are good, but it's just some of them who give them all a bad name", and then the polar opposites in reaction by the same media (react to cops = expected, react to Islam = bad). Thus, if there's a strawman in my observation, it's in the media's representation of the issues.

To extend your point: Cops routinely arrest bad cops, but it isn't covered by the media. Are there parallels within the Islamic world, where they are actually dealing with their internal shit? Are those dealings (like cops) just not get reported on, or are they not happening. Whether they are or not, I don't hear calls from the media for Islam to deal with its internal shit the same way that they're calling for cops to.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

You're "bad cop=bad Muslim" comparison is invalid. I see no news stories of cops screaming "stop resisting arrest!" Before charging into crowds to achieve as much death and injury as possible towards innocents before they're taken out.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
g-man

Post by g-man »

dfwmtx wrote:You're "bad cop=bad Muslim" comparison is invalid. I see no news stories of cops screaming "stop resisting arrest!" Before charging into crowds to achieve as much death and injury as possible towards innocents before they're taken out.
Again, still matches the pattern: Despite cops not following the Aloha Snackbar 'lets go beat down some citizenry', they get called out by the media for what amounts to the actions of isolated individuals. Meanwhile, Islam gets a pass for its crazies, because to call them out on it would be racist/islamophobic/etc. The media presents the two cases as the same, despite the 'cop problem' being orders of magnitude smaller than the 'round up all the Christians and behead them' 'radical Islam' problem.

Media presents both problems as same (despite demonstrable differences laid out by pretty much every poster above). They then call for change on the side of the cops, while decrying anyone even noting that the problems aren't the same, and pointing out that Islam needs to get its shit together.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

PawPaw wrote:It's just the cops doing our jobs.
I know this is an antediluvian concept, but the job of sworn law enforcement officers used to be to protect criminals.

That's why British bobbies didn't carry weapons. It was expected that there were plenty of armed citizens around if there was a need for weapons. The police were there to bring the miscreant to jail before he could be beaten or hanged by the citizenry.

Go read about John Coffee Hays, Texas Ranger and Sheriff of San Francisco. His cleaning-up of San Francisco was primarily shutting down the "vigilance committees" with their beatings and lynchings, and replacing them with trials in front of judges and juries.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
BDK

Post by BDK »

Yeah, the posse commitatus didn't do a whole lot of arresting/trying/sentencing.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

D5CAV wrote:
PawPaw wrote:It's just the cops doing our jobs.
I know this is an antediluvian concept, but the job of sworn law enforcement officers used to be to protect criminals.
That's why British bobbies didn't carry weapons. It was expected that there were plenty of armed citizens around if there was a need for weapons. The police were there to bring the miscreant to jail before he could be beaten or hanged by the citizenry.
Go read about John Coffee Hays, Texas Ranger and Sheriff of San Francisco. His cleaning-up of San Francisco was primarily shutting down the "vigilance committees" with their beatings and lynchings, and replacing them with trials in front of judges and juries.
That is a great point. Do you have any sources for the British police philosophy back in the day?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka