BREXIT combined thread

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Weetabix

Re: BREXIT combined thread

Post by Weetabix »

Cobar wrote:Regarding my previous question about why someone would want in the EU, I meant more what the average joe gets out of it in exchange for all the wacky EU regs on what seems like everything.
I wonder this, too. Not "what do the elites say the average joe gets" but what tangible benefit does he actually get?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

I do know about the ability to go live in whatever EU country thing and like Denis said importing goods is easier.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Cobar wrote:Regarding my previous question about why someone would want in the EU, I meant more what the average joe gets out of it....
With apologies to Monty:

https://youtu.be/lFyywfHbj3M
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Highspeed wrote:
First Shirt wrote:Wasn't it Tam who said "There's two types of countries in the world. Those who use the metric system, and those who've put a man on the moon."
Well, I didn't want to bring this up :D but the Apollo Guidance Computer actually 'thought' in metric SI units.
It displayed information to the astronauts in nautical miles and feet per second via a software conversion routine designed to make their Mig killing, steely eyed test pilot, Right Stuff asses feel more comfortable ;)

:jacked:
How about, "There's two types of countries in the world. Those who use the metric system, and those who've obliterated two cities with nuclear weapons*."

*plus Liberia and Myanmar
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Denis wrote:
Cobar wrote:Regarding my previous question about why someone would want in the EU, I meant more what the average joe gets out of it....
With apologies to Monty:

I just don't see how that majority of that couldn't have been had with more limited treaties.
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Denis wrote:
With apologies to Monty:

And none of those things existed before the EUSSR ?
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

That is what I am trying to understand.

The US has been a big blob of people that can't get along from the beginning. While it certainly has advantages there sure are disadvantages too.

I can certainly see the idea behind the combined economy when competing with the US, China, India, Russia, etc. Everything else listed seems like it could have been pulled off with more limited treaties.

A couple things I am not clear on. What are regional funds and why was a central government needed for food safety. Were the countries governments not already doing that?
randy

Post by randy »

Denis wrote:
With apologies to Monty:

"brought peace!"

My ass.

I would humbly submit that US troops providing the heavy lifting for NATO for 45 years in staring down the USSR until they collapsed had just a teeney weeny bit to do with that. Not to mention US, British and French nukes. (last I heard the French hadn't gone as far down the EU rainbow path as to give control of the Force de Frappe to the EU council)

And the first big test of the Euros after the fall of the Evil Empire? The Balkan wars that required US air-power to force folks to the negotiation table and US troops to provide the heavy ground power for IFOR. (Yes I know other countries played, but with possible exception of the Brits, which of them could have pulled off bringing as much pain to the playing field?)

And how has the EU security concept worked out in handling items like Georgia, Ukraine etc.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

randy wrote:

My ass.

I would humbly submit that US troops providing the heavy lifting for NATO for 45 years in staring down the USSR until they collapsed had just a teeney weeny bit to do with that. Not to mention US, British and French nukes. (last I heard the French hadn't gone as far down the EU rainbow path as to give control of the Force de Frappe to the EU council)

And the first big test of the Euros after the fall of the Evil Empire? The Balkan wars that required US air-power to force folks to the negotiation table and US troops to provide the heavy ground power for IFOR. (Yes I know other countries played, but with possible exception of the Brits, which of them could have pulled off bringing as much pain to the playing field?)

And how has the EU security concept worked out in handling items like Georgia, Ukraine etc.
The US\UK Balkan intervention was a pointless exercise. Those people have been happily slaughtering each other for centuries, based on ethnic, religious and nationalistic factors. I just want to know why Clinton thought it was any of the business of the US to get involved. Or Blair committing our UK air and ground assets for that matter. But then left wing politicians love to exercise the use of military power, they think it makes them look tough.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

Highspeed wrote:The US\UK Balkan intervention was a pointless exercise. Those people have been happily slaughtering each other for centuries, based on ethnic, religious and nationalistic factors. I just want to know why Clinton thought it was any of the business of the US to get involved. Or Blair committing our UK air and ground assets for that matter. But then left wing politicians love to exercise the use of military power, they think it makes them look tough.
I figured that the UK involvement was a knee-jerk "no way we are letting another world war start in europe" thing. Clinton, I think, was just his globalist meddling ideals.