Col John Boyd's OODA loop

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
toad

Col John Boyd's OODA loop

Post by toad »

Observe, Orient, Decide, Act. Boyd's loop is now applied to more than just military tactics but also comercial and political strategy.
One thing about it is that people sometimes forget is that your Act doesn't have to be the best one it just has to come faster than your opponent's. That is, you force him to react to you and don't give him time to make a good decision. Eventually he'll make one or more bad ones and then you'll have him.
randy

Re: Col John Boyd's OODA loop

Post by randy »

A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.

George S. Patton
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Yup...and Patton would have cheerfully told you he got the idea from Napoleon, Stuart, Stonewall Jackson, and a host of others.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Mike OTDP wrote:Yup...and Patton would have cheerfully told you he got the idea from Napoleon, Stuart, Stonewall Jackson, and a host of others.
Patton probably would have credited Clausewitz, he was a huge Clausewitz fan. (Although Karl was just articulating an idea that already existed, as he himself stated.)