Mass shooting at gay night club in Orlando

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
JustinR

Re: Mass shooting at gay night club in Orlando

Post by JustinR »

The news stories I have read indicate at least one officer traded fire with him early on. A majority of the casualties occurred early, and several officers got in a gun battle with him and forced him into a bathroom, where there were people hiding. SWAT got set up to deal with the hostage situation and negotiate, and when the gunman said the death of the hostages was imminent, they breached. I think 2.5-3 hours was spent with the shooter trapped in the bathroom. We'll have to see when more detailed accounts are published.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Is it just me? Whats up with the droopy eyelids on dead muzzie murderers? Looks spooky like the guy in San Bernadino.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

I am not blaming Orlando for their response, at least not yet. But how many active shootings have turned into hostage situations? This seems more like Virginia Tech where they started with the standard "set up perimeter..." rather than stop the shooter. But it all doesn't really matter in the end. If you are in that situation, you are on your own. No one is coming to RESCUE YOU, they are coming for the shooter, EVENTUALLY! Prepare and fight.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I've started to say to people that are shrieking "WORST MASS SHOOTING IN US HISTORY!" that this isn't the worst mass murder at a US nightclub in the last 30 years.

Happy Land Fire. But we won't talk about that, it doesn't fit the narrative.

And yes, I know that this isn't news to anyone here.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

JAG2955 wrote:I've started to say to people that are shrieking "WORST MASS SHOOTING IN US HISTORY!" that this isn't the worst mass murder at a US nightclub in the last 30 years.

Yeah, the body count at Waco was larger too, but that's an unfortunate fact that no one wants to consider.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that no one in the club had a gun. Yeah, yeah, I know, against the law, yada, yada, And, I'm sure that the clientele demographic probably didn't match the stereotype. But still, over 350 people in there and no one had a FRIGGIN GUN??? I could have done the dumb sonofabitch with the J-frame I carry everywhere.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

PawPaw wrote:
JAG2955 wrote:I've started to say to people that are shrieking "WORST MASS SHOOTING IN US HISTORY!" that this isn't the worst mass murder at a US nightclub in the last 30 years.

Yeah, the body count at Waco was larger too, but that's an unfortunate fact that no one wants to consider.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that no one in the club had a gun. Yeah, yeah, I know, against the law, yada, yada, And, I'm sure that the clientele demographic probably didn't match the stereotype. But still, over 350 people in there and no one had a FRIGGIN GUN??? I could have done the dumb sonofabitch with the J-frame I carry everywhere.
It's probably your fault that I bought a J-frame, after your stories. And yes, it conceals stupid easily. Since I'm in shorts almost year round, it resides in my pocket. I may even not see a 30-06 sign or two if they're badly posted.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

JAG2955 wrote:
PawPaw wrote:

It's probably your fault that I bought a J-frame, after your stories. And yes, it conceals stupid easily. Since I'm in shorts almost year round, it resides in my pocket. I may even not see a 30-06 sign or two if they're badly posted.
I know the redneck honky tonks I used to hang out it when I was single. The bartender always had a shotgun behind the bar. Several of the patrons were armed. It was a secret, but we were armed. Some dumb sonofabitch come in starting trouble, he'd take fire from three or four different angles. After the gunfight, Ms. Judy (the owner) would have called the Sheriff and asked several of us to drag the corpse out into the parking lot while she poured a round for the house.

And that wasn't particularly a rough bar. Everyone was treated with courtesy and respect. If you go down to the Cherokee club near Black Lake, they wouldn't even call the Sheriff after a gunfight. That sonofabitch would just be "missing". The stories would start trickling out several months later, but the gators in the lake would have disposed of the protein.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around a bar without a shotgun near the cash register.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Jered

Post by Jered »

PawPaw wrote: I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that no one in the club had a gun. Yeah, yeah, I know, against the law, yada, yada, And, I'm sure that the clientele demographic probably didn't match the stereotype. But still, over 350 people in there and no one had a FRIGGIN GUN??? I could have done the dumb sonofabitch with the J-frame I carry everywhere.
How big is one of those compared to a Ruger LCR?
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Jered wrote:How big is one of those compared to a Ruger LCR?
The difference between eenie and meenie. Take your pick.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

aaaaaand right on schedule I get an email from a buddy who should be bright enough to know better. I won't embed the link(s).

"Breaking Orlando Gay Night Club PULSE Shooting "Mass Casualty Situation" of a Drill Gone Live!!"
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story