Bundy Ranch 2 under way in Oregon

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
JustinR

Re: Bundy Ranch 2 under way in Oregon

Post by JustinR »

+1 to "this isn't going to end well."

One has to pick their battles, especially REAL battles. The situation is F-ed up no doubt, but I can't see falling on my sword for it.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Then, when? What scenario would be worth it? When it is so obvious as to be too late?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I'm going to wait to see this play out a bit more. This does not sound like Bundy 2, so far.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Congratulations on taking a government building on a 3 day weekend.

Put concertina wire around facility, with an entry control point. Post an APC on all 4 corners. Leave a sign that says "Whenever you are ready, come on out... or whatever." Take their guns, give them a 25 dollar ticket, and send them home.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

skb12172 wrote:Then, when? What scenario would be worth it? When it is so obvious as to be too late?
It's easier to say not THIS scenario. I say that, because a majority of non-land owners on the coasts and big cities have no comprehension of land ownership. There simply isn't the support or even understanding from a majority of Americans, and the two individuals at the center of the case don't even WANT this outcome.

I know there's a lot to this fairly complicated story, but the reality is that most of America doesn't care if two ranchers are thrown into prison unjustly.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

skb12172 wrote:Then, when? What scenario would be worth it? When it is so obvious as to be too late?
The US government has had repeated object lessons in "don't fight a war on behalf of people who don't want you to fight" and apparently the people never got the memo either.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Reading several articles, it appears to me that the 2 ranchers got sentences lighter than federal sentencing guidelines recommend(perhaps from a sympathetic judge), served the time, and were released.
ANOTHER judge has taken exception to this, and ordered them back to prison.

Hmmmm......... :geek:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Doesn't sound constitutional or legal.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Apparently the 2 ranchers were charged/convicted under a federal terrorism law, rather than ordinary arson. Lately this seems to be standard modus operandii for assistant US attorney generals.

Couple of good WaPo articles:
Link
Link
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

If we're all terrorists, not only are you easier to control, it's easier to turn public opinion against you.