Russians Use Cluster Bombs, Lassie shocked?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
toad

Russians Use Cluster Bombs, Lassie shocked?

Post by toad »

[urlhttp://www.vocativ.com/news/263147/russia-syri ... civilians/][/url]
Yes any minute now the Human Rights Watch is going to call on the UN to send its armed forces to enforce "international law.".
What's that you are trying to say Lassie? The UN only has "peace keeping forces" that they have hired in small quantities, who have expressed a "Hell NO!" attitude when it comes to trying to force the Russians to do anything.

I wonder if the US still has any cluster bombs war heads stored away some where?
Jered

Re: Russians Use Cluster Bombs, Lassie shocked?

Post by Jered »

I don't really understand why cluster bombs are bad.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Because they are effective?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

They're bad because they're effective, the official reason they're bad is because of the EOD issue with the small percent of the submunitions that fail to explode.

I suggest we take turns with russia running carpet bombing missions through the area. Make it a friendly competition. :twisted:
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

I can think of only a few things more effective for area interdiction--continuous shellfire and cobalt-60. Anything I'm forgetting?
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Old Grafton wrote:I can think of only a few things more effective for area interdiction--continuous shellfire and cobalt-60. Anything I'm forgetting?
Uncontrolled wildfires and sarin?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Jered wrote:I don't really understand why cluster bombs are bad.
Because it leaves volatile munitions scattered over a large area, and causes casualties to civilians years after combat?
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Ok, well there's that. At sea it's another matter.

I have in mind after action photos of ship the Israelis dropped a rockeye on. Oh. My. Like a melt job with a chainsaw. It was denuded. It might have been that one of ours they shot up while in the middle of a shooting war with their neighbors.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Yogimus wrote:
Because it leaves volatile munitions scattered over a large area, and causes casualties to civilians years after combat?
I recall an incident in Afghanistan, circa 2010, where a child was killed by a Yugoslav made arty submunition. (Which was chipped from the u.s.) The best anyone could figure was the last major fighting in the Afghan civil war, after the Russians left, was something like fifteen years prior.

But the Russians can't be in violation of "international law," because they never signed the treaty.

Technically, the U.S. isn't a signatory either, but some SecDef (I forget which) ordered cluster munitions phased out. The Artillery Center at Ft Sill has been screaming for years that we have no effective replacement, but nobody wants to listen.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Yogimus wrote:
I recall an incident in Afghanistan, circa 2010, where a child was killed by a Yugoslav made arty submunition. (Which was chipped from the u.s.) The best anyone could figure was the last major fighting in the Afghan civil war, after the Russians left, was something like fifteen years prior.

But the Russians can't be in violation of "international law," because they never signed the treaty.

Technically, the U.S. isn't a signatory either, but some SecDef (I forget which) ordered cluster munitions phased out. The Artillery Center at Ft Sill has been screaming for years that we have no effective replacement, but nobody wants to listen.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus