Austrian Gun Rush

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
PawPaw

Austrian Gun Rush

Post by PawPaw »

Via Insty, we come to this Google translation that tells us there's a gun rush in Austria, and the primary reson is the refugee crisis:
The Austrians have always been one of the most armed countries in Europe. But now all the dams are broken. More than 70,000 weapons over the same period last year were sold. The most common reason for the upgrade: fear of refugees and before dawn burglars. Almost 900,000 weapons stored in households.
It appears that a sizable portion of the buyers are women.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Old Grafton

Re: Austrian Gun Rush

Post by Old Grafton »

Foxhole conservatives :lol: It's a wunnaful thing!
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Denis

Post by Denis »

Not only that. Guard dogs can't be had for love nor money these days...
toad

Post by toad »

Denis wrote:Not only that. Guard dogs can't be had for love nor money these days...
Actually there are some breeds that people don't think about that make decent guard dogs. Consider a Dachshund for example. People don't consider them dangerous because they are so low to the ground, but their bite is dangerous. They used to be sent down holes to get badgers. If one gets on a goblin's ankle the goblin may find himself at a level for the Dachshund to rip off his face. They hate being disturbed when they are napping. Other dogs are the Large French Poodles, Dalmatians, and Sarplanicacs (Yugoslavian Guard Dog), and the small yap dogs for early warning.
Alternative animals are geese, donkeys, Llamas, I guess if you put a diaper on a goose or two you could keep it in an apartment
Last edited by toad on Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

toad wrote:
Denis wrote:Not only that. Guard dogs can't be had for love nor money these days...
Actually there are some breed that people don't think about that make decent guard dogs. Consider a Dachshund for example. People don't consider them dangerous because they are so low to the ground but their bite is dangerous. They use to be sent down hole to get badgers. If one gets on a goblins ankle the goblin may find himself at a level for the Dachshund to rip off his face. They hate being disturbed when they are napping. Other dogs are the Large French Poodles, Dalmatians, and the small yap dogs for early warning.

If a Dachshund attacked my ankle, it would quickly become a football.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Meh.

This isn't getting interesting until Merkel annexes the Sudetenland.

If they start building camps for the "Syrians" from The Religion Of Peace(tm), I'm applying for a job this time.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
toad

Post by toad »

There was a story about a man who was charge by a bear. His Dachshund ran up and bit down on the bears wedding tackle, the bear screamed and ran back into the forest with the dog still attached. A bit later the Dachshund came trotting out of the forest unharmed. There have been other reports of them going for testicles on other animals and people. They have more than the average dogs teeth and have a scissor action to their bite. Depending on the size of the dog their bite has been measured from 90 to 135 pounds but that is some what deceptive because bite pressure and the ability to hold on are different for a Dachshund. Their name means Badger Dog in German.
IIRC a Collie can give a pretty bad bite.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I don't need my dogs to attack an intruder, that's what I'm supposed to do. All they have to do is let me know that there's something afoot that I need to deal with. Most people don't have any business owning a trained guard dog, because they can't pass the 10% rule.

Someone (Jeff Cooper, I think) said that the purpose of a dog is to serve as a warning system, not an anti-personnel mine. For a Marine, he was a pretty smart fellow.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
randy

Post by randy »

There was a Peanuts cartoon where Charlie Brown described Snoopy as the type of guard dog burglars feared the most, they feared tripping over him in the dark and hurting themselves in the fall
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
toad

Post by toad »

Best one I read was from a former burglar. He said, get a small dog, but get a really big dog dish with a name on like Fang and put it on the back porch. One guy had a large chain with busted collar along with the dog dish.