"Bring Me the Head of.....Raechel from Cardholder Services?"

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Old Grafton

"Bring Me the Head of.....Raechel from Cardholder Services?"

Post by Old Grafton »

The laughably ineffective Federal "Do Not Call" list and the sonsabitches running these pestilential scammannoyances has me wondering that with all the vast intelligence capabilities of the NSA:

1. Is there maybe a smidgen of that capability that could be detailed to track these various fooks down?
2. Wouldn't it improve the image of the Feds if more than 3 elderly old ladies from Brighton Beach served serious time for running a 'bot?

I get it that catching and deterring terrorists is vastly more important, but really, couldn't some NSA flack take 15 minutes a day to sic a lowly city prosecutor on a few of 'em?

I'm not advocating a Nixonian "Enemies List"-type expansion, there's probably one already, but even the Orkin Man will smack a mosquito while he's spraying the kitchen for roaches.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Rod

Re: "Bring Me the Head of.....Raechel from Cardholder Servic

Post by Rod »

They're using VOIP to place the calls and they're almost impossible to trace. I doubt the use the same number more than 6 to 12 hours. I even got one from my own freaking phone number once. How's that for coincidence? I usually insult them, call them whores, ask them to hold on and walk away, and occasionally scream as loud as I can.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Rod wrote:They're using VOIP to place the calls and they're almost impossible to trace. I doubt the use the same number more than 6 to 12 hours. I even got one from my own freaking phone number once. How's that for coincidence? I usually insult them, call them whores, ask them to hold on and walk away, and occasionally scream as loud as I can.
Exact same experience here, down to getting a call from my own number. Except I never pick up a number I don't recognize. No matter how important, I figure they can leave a message and I can call whomever back.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

Been getting the extended car warranty calls quite a bit recently.

Most agrivating thing you can do to them is politely listen for their entire sales pitch, answer some basic questions, then when they're ready to close the deal, tell them you wrecked it/sold it to carmax/donated it to charity.

Screaming and insults they expect. They're prepared for it.

Get their hopes up, make 'em really think they might get a sale, then crush them like a beer can at a frat party.

Besides, it burns up time they could be spending calling the next schmuck down the list. They have a quota, abuse their time as much as they're abusing yours, and eventually they'll find something better to do. Like robbing banks or cooking meth.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

skb12172 wrote:
Rod wrote:They're using VOIP to place the calls and they're almost impossible to trace. I doubt the use the same number more than 6 to 12 hours. I even got one from my own freaking phone number once. How's that for coincidence? I usually insult them, call them whores, ask them to hold on and walk away, and occasionally scream as loud as I can.
Exact same experience here, down to getting a call from my own number. Except I never pick up a number I don't recognize. No matter how important, I figure they can leave a message and I can call whomever back.
Trouble is I can't do that with a business #...... fucking cunt.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
randy

Post by randy »

skb12172 wrote:Except I never pick up a number I don't recognize.
I have the ringtone for unknown numbers on my cell phone set to "none". For the home landline we never pick up the phone until we hear who's on via the answering machine.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Welcome to my unsold pilot for the spin-off of Dexter.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Dealing with those people has been a lot less fun since there have been little ears in the house. :evil:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

So have you heard of the guy who programmed his asterisk pbx to waste the telemarketers time automatically?

I'll leave this here for your enjoyment.
http://www.tormentingtelemarketers.com/ ... ike-lenny/
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I had a call come in from my own number, and the name was my wife's (her name is on the bill since she had an account in NJ and I didn't when we got married). Didn't dawn on me that it was my home number, I thought she was calling from her cell phone, so of course I answered and got a sales pitch. I normally say "No thanks", but that was so scummy I just slammed down the phone.