Stone Mountain - Context?

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Jericho941

Stone Mountain - Context?

Post by Jericho941 »

Supposedly, this picture was taken at the Stone Mountain protest. It's been trending on Twitter as proof that cops are racist, otherwise this guy would be dead. And while putting a hand to one's sidearm in front of the local constabulary does not strike me as a particularly efficient choice with regard to self-preservation, all I've been able to find is a short bit from the Independent about "a man goes for his gun" before it's skipped down to more pictures.

I dunno, a guy who "goes for his gun" in front of a cop kinda seems like a big deal. :? I would like to know more. But apparently, there isn't any more to know!

Social media's having a field day with it, though. The complete lack of context gives them plenty of room to spout all manner of narratives. "Why isn't he dead!?" I dunno, I'd like to ask that question in a non-rhetorical sense. Followed by "what is going on here?"
skb12172

Re: Stone Mountain - Context?

Post by skb12172 »

Same here. I've asked the people posting, but nobody can provide context other than "it's because he's a white man."
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Rod

Post by Rod »

I'm almost willing to bet someone threatened him and the guy in the beard and the cop are trying to calm him down. Cop showed restraint by not drawing his weapon.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

It would also be easy enough to stage a photo like that, but I suspect Rod is correct, at least partially. It wouldn't totally surprise me if the pointing bearded dude is part of the problem.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Cop shows up, and everyone gets all "eye of the tiger" because they know they can posture with no consequence. (They think the cop will keep them safe from an asswoopin)
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

The guy behind the cop had burned a confederate flag in front of a bunch of pro-conf. flag guys during a pro-conf. flag protest. The flag burner then took refuge behind the cop. Saw that story a few days ago.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Darrell wrote:The guy behind the cop had burned a confederate flag in front of a bunch of pro-conf. flag guys during a pro-conf. flag protest. The flag burner then took refuge behind the cop. Saw that story a few days ago.
Well, if true, then the guy he was taking refuge from should have been arrested for whatever the SC version of an offer assault is at minimum.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Vonz90 wrote:
Darrell wrote:The guy behind the cop had burned a confederate flag in front of a bunch of pro-conf. flag guys during a pro-conf. flag protest. The flag burner then took refuge behind the cop. Saw that story a few days ago.
Well, if true, then the guy he was taking refuge from should have been arrested for whatever the SC version of an offer assault is at minimum.
Georgia, and the guy isn't even looking at the cop. What is an offer assault?
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Rod wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
Georgia, and the guy isn't even looking at the cop. What is an offer assault?
I'm not talking about relative to the cop. If the guy had to run away due to a reasonable fear that the first guy was going to do violence to him, then an assault was committed. This is the same basis which allows you to shoot someone running at you with a knife before they are anywhere close enough to you to actually do anything and still have it be self defense. As soon as you offer to commit violence, you have committed assault.

assault is defined as an attempt or offernot the assault is defined as an attempt or offer with unlawful force or violence to not the assault is defined as an attempt or offer with unlawful force or violence to do bodily harm to another, whether or not the attempt or offer is consummated. An assault can therefore be committed in one of three separate ways: by offer, by attempt, or by battery. UCMJ art. 128.m.
One of the lawyers here will have to give you the civilian details. The verbiage comes from UCMJ, which is based on Federal law, but I believe every state law parallels it if the wording varies.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Mr Civilian Open Carry has some variety of AR slung muzzle down off his left shoulder, and I see a second cop in a green fluorescent vest behind the first, and considering how worked up the Leftists get by open carry, perhaps Mr. Zig-Zag took the presence of the gun as a threat and provocation, and things ran from there.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy