Robotic McDonalds Opens In Phoenix July 4th

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Greg

Re: Robotic McDonalds Opens In Phoenix July 4th

Post by Greg »

dfwmtx wrote:Hell, I think McDonalds should start looking into it anyways. :twisted:
Where else is the Stainless Steel Rat supposed to learn from his mentor?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Greg wrote:
dfwmtx wrote:Hell, I think McDonalds should start looking into it anyways. :twisted:
Where else is the Stainless Steel Rat supposed to learn from his mentor?
Obscure reference, FTW! What was that dude's name , Bishop?
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Harry Harrison, author, The Stainless Steel Rat; chief protagonist, James Bolivar "Slippery Jim" DiGriz. The SSR's boss was Insp. Harold Inskipp. One of my favorite yarns as a mere yout. The series was a fun romp in science fiction.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Old Grafton wrote:Harry Harrison, author, The Stainless Steel Rat; chief protagonist, James Bolivar "Slippery Jim" DiGriz. The SSR's boss was Insp. Harold Inskipp. One of my favorite yarns as a mere yout. The series was a fun romp in science fiction.
I think the question was who the SSR learned his craft from - while living inside a robotic fast food restaurant - and the answer is I don't remember. Haven't read the books in nearly 30 years.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Old Grafton wrote:Harry Harrison, author, The Stainless Steel Rat; chief protagonist, James Bolivar "Slippery Jim" DiGriz. The SSR's boss was Insp. Harold Inskipp. One of my favorite yarns as a mere yout. The series was a fun romp in science fiction.
I read a couple of them back in 80's on the recommendation of a friend and found them to be irritating at best. Of course, that was not too long before I stopped reading SciFi all together, so it could have just been where my interests were going at the time.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I did a little checking around, it was The Bishop that taught him his craft in a robo-restaurant. As for Harry Harrison, while I loved the Rat series, his views regarding the military and politics in general, expressed most clearly in the Bill the Galactic Hero series, convinced me he's a huge jackass. Only slightly ruined Stainless Steel Rat for me, but stay far away from anything else he's done.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Aaron wrote:...Only slightly ruined Stainless Steel Rat for me, but stay far away from anything else he's done.
I really enjoyed his "Death World" series.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Anyway, back on topic:
Unions!
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Flintlock Tom wrote:Anyway, back on topic:
Unions!
"So, you want to pay less than $15/hour - you better encourage your workers to join the union."

In other words, unions are just a protection racket - is there anyone who did not know that already?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Unions are one of the big driving forces behind the scenes of minimum wage increases, due to many of their contracts involving workers pay rates being based on the minimum wage(IE 3x, 4x, etc)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt