Dude Lands Gyrocopter on Capitol Lawn

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
PawPaw

Dude Lands Gyrocopter on Capitol Lawn

Post by PawPaw »

Really
UPDATE 1:50 p.m.: WASHINGTON — Doug Hughes, the 61-year-old mailman from Ruskin, successfully landed his gyrocopter on the lawn of the U.S. Capitol today. He was promptly arrested.
I bet he was promptly arrested.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
dfwmtx

Re: Dude Lands Gyrocopter on Capitol Lawn

Post by dfwmtx »

You expect they'd shoot him down?
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

PawPaw wrote:
He was promptly arrested.
I bet he was promptly arrested.
Unless he brought hookers with him.
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Too sober to be secret service.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

So much for the web of ATC and airspace security in the nation's capitol.

Matthias Rust says "Hi."

He should have claimed to be a regional airlines' CATP who just got lost and landed on the wrong runway. :lol:
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

There was a similar event in Unintended Consequences during which a father and son were dropping leaflets from para-planes over the capital.
I think one of them survived.
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

Boy, there's gonna be a whole lotta CYA going on in the capitol police and secret service right about now. I did some follow up research on this and found out a few interesting points:

This was not a hairbrained scheme hatched overnight over a couple of bottles of beer. Doug Hughes has been planning this for at least 2 years and he wasn't secretive about it. He runs a website and forum where he talked about the plan in detail. He worked with a local newspaper report to document the entire evolution of the event and they even broadcast a live stream of the landing.

Someone on his forum got concerned and called the secret service back around 2013 and an agent supposedly came out and interviewed him about his plan. He was very forthright and answered all the questions, gave permission for the agent to interview his doctor and co-workers, etc. Nothing ever happened after the interview.

He posted a youtube video explaining who he was, why he was doing this: Video Link

He e-mailed the authorities and local news outlets at least an hour prior to his flight to inform them he was coming.

After all this, everyone was still caught with their pants around their ankles.

And the reaction of the media is priceless! OMG...Terrorists! Wait, what? Oh crap!
Greg

Post by Greg »

Has a postal worker finally managed to find a way to get fired? :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

dfwmtx wrote:You expect they'd shoot him down?
Eh, probably not worth the cost of one of the missiles, when a slingshot would do.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

Mailman poster seconds from being blow out of the sky, according to Internet version of fish&chipswrap

The ass-covering in DC is strong today.

Apparently NORAD didn't even know about the flight until it was on the ground.

Yeah, if they wouldn't scrambled fighters for hijacked jets on 9-11, I had a feeling a gyro-copter -smaller radar cross-section- I'm not surprised they'd do next to nothing over this.

Alas, mailman protestor's protest has failed, since we're talking more about what he did than the cause he's trying to bring to light - you know, that pesky "campaign finance reform" and "political corruption' issue. Can't say I blame him for taking the gryo-copter to DC; after all, who wants to get groped by a gay TSA agent?

Go back to sleep, America. We'll release a few more Kardishan selfies soon to lull you off to dreamland.
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia