This is your culture setting itself on fire.

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Greg

Re: This is your culture setting itself on fire.

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
evan price wrote:When I was in Olympics of the Mind in high school, ...
The teacher expelled me from the group for the rest of the semester.
I bet you can find the height of a building with a barometer, too. :lol:
Yes, there's more than one way to do that. :shock:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Evan would give it to the building superintendent if the guy would just tell him how high the building is.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Gunnuts

Post by Gunnuts »

Netpackrat wrote:
slowpoke wrote:hmm. now I'll have to look for or make a moving gif from my avatar. Thanks.
If it wasn't against the forum rules, we'd probably all be doing that.
Yep. That portly guy in my avatar also exists as an animated gif of all the flameage frames from that trip to the range.

But here using the animated gif as an avatar is verboten, so the frame with the biggest flame got the call. :)
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:Evan would give it to the building superintendent if the guy would just tell him how high the building is.
I figured he'd drop it off the roof and record how long it took to fall. That would be my method of choice.

If they specified you still had to have a usable barometer at the end, I'd tie a rope to it and lower it off the roof like I was taking a sounding. Or sit it next to the building and measure the shadows of building and barometer. Or step back from the building a ways and hold it in front of your face so the barometer and the building occupy the same angular distance (think "I'm crushing your head!") and compare the distances to barometer and building.

Air pressure is boring.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

The rope for a sounding is too direct. Swing it like a pendulum and measure its period, then back-calculate the rope length from that.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:The rope for a sounding is too direct. Swing it like a pendulum and measure its period, then back-calculate the rope length from that.
I'm not subtle. Using the rope at all is too indirect for my taste. :lol: But I like that one, I wouldn't have thought of it.

Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

For not subtle: Find the superintendent. Knock him out with the barometer. Rifle through his office until you find the building plans. Read the height.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Weetabix wrote:For not subtle: Find the superintendent. Knock him out with the barometer. Rifle through his office until you find the building plans. Read the height.
That's a new one. :lol:
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:For not subtle: Find the superintendent. Knock him out with the barometer. Rifle through his office until you find the building plans. Read the height.
Oh I like that. Or use the window washer scaffold and use the barometer like a yardstick to measure the height of the building.

Like a smoot, anything can be a unit of measure. ;)
Last edited by Greg on Fri May 23, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Termite

Post by Termite »

I do love this bar............................ :lol: :lol:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."