Chipolte declares its stores shooting galleries

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Rod

Chipolte declares its stores shooting galleries

Post by Rod »

Seems Chipolte got lots of flak from MDA about open carry of rifles in a Texas restaurant so they're asking people NOT to carry guns there. Link Since their request has no legal standing in Texas unless they put up signs, too bad. Of course, I've never eaten at one and probably won't ever now.

I really dislike how the open carry people here are handling themselves though. There's been a push every session for the last 4 or 5 sessions of the legislature to get open carry passed, the problem is that the Left will scream and cry, the Democrats will cry about "blood in the streets" and the "wild west" and the open carry law will be delayed even more. Folks, though you have the right, stupid stuff makes us look bad and hurts the cause.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Termite

Re: Chipolte declares its stores shooting galleries

Post by Termite »

Rod wrote:I really dislike how the open carry people here are handling themselves though.................. Folks, though you have the right, stupid stuff makes us look bad and hurts the cause.
Amen.

Louisiana has open carry, but you don't see it a lot except during hunting season.......and the occasional fisherman carrying an anti-snake .22.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Pointing out their fucktarderry to the fucktard open-carry moonbats makes them rattle their cages and fling their poo, to demonstrate that everyone should be a fucktard, because Fucktard Army!

Tread lightly, or wear old clothes.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Termite wrote:
Rod wrote:I really dislike how the open carry people here are handling themselves though.................. Folks, though you have the right, stupid stuff makes us look bad and hurts the cause.
Amen.

Louisiana has open carry, but you don't see it a lot except during hunting season.......and the occasional fisherman carrying an anti-snake .22.

Given Texas' reputation of being gun happy, etc., it blows my mind you guys still don't have open carry. In Kentucky, it's a non-issue. Of course, people rarely do it too, so that's probably part of it.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

There was a kerfuffle here a few summers ago when some folks carried their rifles downtown, in front of the city county building, where the mayor and the criminal courts happen to be.

I think that we need to get open handgun carry passed in all states, but parading around with rifles isn't the way. I think that the ccw movement has been a success, and when most milktoasts see an open pistol, they either think the carrier is a cop or is one of those wild and crazy guys who wants to defend himself. A long gun is still seen as an offensive, rather than defensive. Just my opinion, but this is not the time to push open long gun carry. Every time this happens, we take a step back.
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Rod

Post by Rod »

skb12172 and Frankingun, Texas is unusual in that the gun laws go back to Reconstruction and an attempt to make sure Blacks couldn't be armed. Long guns have always been allowed to be carried openly but, unless it's hunting season, you don't see it. These folks are pushing for open carry of handguns so their whole idea doesn't make sense.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Rod wrote:Long guns have always been allowed to be carried openly but, unless it's hunting season, you don't see it. These folks are pushing for open carry of handguns so their whole idea doesn't make sense.
This. I am generally not opposed to open carry activism, but carrying your rifle into a store or a restaurant is beyond stupid. If the idea is to get people used to the idea, less Rambo is called for. I get that carry of long guns is the only legal form of open carry available to them, but it's still counterproductive.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Netpackrat wrote:
Rod wrote:Long guns have always been allowed to be carried openly but, unless it's hunting season, you don't see it. These folks are pushing for open carry of handguns so their whole idea doesn't make sense.
This. I am generally not opposed to open carry activism, but carrying your rifle into a store or a restaurant is beyond stupid. If the idea is to get people used to the idea, less Rambo is called for. I get that carry of long guns is the only legal form of open carry available to them, but it's still counterproductive.
Indeed. While it might provide some amusement value of the 'in yo FACE, suck it' variety, and some delightful irony derived from borrowing the Left's little passive-aggressive ploy of normalizing something previously considered distasteful by shoving it in your face long and hard enough (and then shaming you for complaining).... without the continuous backing of the media it doesn't work and it's all counterproductive. And those open carry folks do not have the media backing them.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Rod wrote:skb12172 and Frankingun, Texas is unusual in that the gun laws go back to Reconstruction and an attempt to make sure Blacks couldn't be armed.
Actually, most gun laws have their roots in racist behaviour, as Clayton Cramer has argued as early as 1993.
As I recall from my studies on the issue, in Louisiana the courts decided back in the early years of the 20th century that honest men carried their guns openly, and only those miscreants who had "nefarious purposes" would have any reason to conceal their firearms. It's only since the '80s that we had laws allowing permits for concealed carry, but open carry has always been the law in Louisiana.

Odd, isn't it, how the public perception on firearms carry changes over the years?l
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I realize we all pretty much agree on this - but I just don't know what the intent is of the OC crowd in doing this.

Our culture simply doesn't accept the bearing of long arms - and doesn't care about the wearing of sidearms.

Even in AZ or rural ID, if you start walking around with an AR on your back all the time, people are going to look at you a bit more.

We don't need guns to turn into the next refuge of the Attention Whore, as Harleys are.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto