Greenpeace crew in 'shock' in Russian jails

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
martini

Greenpeace crew in 'shock' in Russian jails

Post by martini »

http://news.yahoo.com/greenpeace-crew-s ... 32682.html

So this is how we solve the problem of Greenpeace...
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
Jered

Re: Greenpeace crew in 'shock' in Russian jails

Post by Jered »

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
dfwmtx

Post by dfwmtx »

"Shocked, really? Y'all never read 'Gulag Archipelago', did you?"

Now, let's see if Sea Shepherd gets torpedoed for piracy.....
"Arms are honor; slaves have neither."

"I am Chaos, I am alive...and I tell you that you are free!" -Eris Discordia
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Why would anyone expect a different outcome? the GreenieWeenies are actually doing well; 30 years ago they and their ship would just be "missing"...... and at the same depth.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Jered

Post by Jered »

dfwmtx wrote:"Shocked, really? Y'all never read 'Gulag Archipelago', did you?"

Now, let's see if Sea Shepherd gets torpedoed for piracy.....
I just found a form to send a letter to the president of Russia.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Eugene Kontorovich over at the Volokh Conspiracy is tracking it, and he says that Russia is outside the bounds of international law.
Amazingly, Russia has brought criminal piracy charges against the crew of the Greenpeace ship Arctic Sunrise, which it had arrested on the high seas. The piracy charges make a mockery of international law, for reasons I’ve discussed. Moreover, such clearly abusive and politicized piracy charges are quite unprecedented in modern history, as far as I can recall. Indeed, I am quite surprised by the charges; I had thought Russia would consider the arrest and initial detention sufficient harassment. (But I was more on the mark with my comparison to Pussy Riot – apparently supporters of the Dutch-flagged vessel are now calling it the Pussy Sunrise.)
Heh!
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I usually agree w Volkh, but I think he's trying to make mountains out of mole hills/is completely unaware of the dangers of an industrial facility.

The reasons for the stern sanctions against piracy - essentially the complete isolation if the victims - certainly applies to a platform.

Furthermore, a hostile entry is often considered at act if violence - it should be treated even more so in an environment such as a platform.

The attackers could have stuck w the banner / or they could have easily killed the crew/done millions in damage and imperiled lives by tampering w the controls.

Russia doesn't feel free to treat the attackers as pirates because it has contempt for the US and NL - it's because neither nation will act to save its criminals - nor should they.

They attacked a Russian facility - from my limited guesstimating, a platform's flag works like a ships - and, as such, the attackers became subject to Russian law once they boarded.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Dump oil into the sea, claim the green pieceofshits did it, and sue the "charity" in international court for the cleanup costs.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Several non-smoking activists also complain of being placed in cells with chain-smokers.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Eppur si muove--Galileo