Accused killer of slain Navy SEAL Chris Kyle is indicted

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Why haven't we seen this on the TV news????
by JASON WHITELY
Bio | Email | Follow: @jasonwhitely
Posted on July 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Updated today at 5:09 PM

On Wednesday, more than five months after Eddie Ray Routh allegedly murdered former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle and another man, he was indicted by an Erath County grand jury.

Kyle and a friend, Chad Littlefield, had taken Routh to a gun range for lessons on February 2 when Routh allegedly shot them and left both for dead.

Police said Routh, 25, then stole Kyle's pickup truck. He was captured hours later in Lancaster.

At the time, the former Marine was arraigned on one count of capital murder and two counts of murder. Investigators said he admitted to the killings and bond was set at $3 million.

Routh's defense attorney, Warren St. John, told News 8 that grand jurors indicted Routh on one count of capital murder; two killings made it a capital case.

Why has it taken almost six months? Investigators and prosecutors have been building a case, digging into Routh's background and his mental history.

Routh's mother told News 8 he suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder, and that she had reached out to Kyle to help her son get better.

Since his stay in jail, Routh has been on suicide watch, and had to be restrained for violent outbursts.

The indictment late Wednesday afternoon now starts a series of hearings, and a trial date will be set in the coming weeks, but the timetable is not yet clear.

E-mail: jwhitely@wfaa.com
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
JKosprey

Re: Accused killer of slain Navy SEAL Chris Kyle is indicted

Post by JKosprey »

I'm interested to see the details on this case, and just how mentally defective this guy actually was.

A terrible fucking waste all around...
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

JKosprey wrote:I'm interested to see the details on this case, and just how mentally defective this guy actually was.

A terrible fucking waste all around...
You're NOT kidding!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Termite

Post by Termite »

.....Since his stay in jail, Routh has been on suicide watch...
Assuming there is no question that he indeed killed Chris Kyle, what's the downside of leaving 10ft of 3/8" nylon rope within arm's reach of his cell?
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Termite wrote:
.....Since his stay in jail, Routh has been on suicide watch...
Assuming there is no question that he indeed killed Chris Kyle, what's the downside of leaving 10ft of 3/8" nylon rope within arm's reach of his cell?
I have a problem with allowing a (potentially) mentally disturbed person to destroy themselves.

That's why I said that I'd like to see just how 'broken' this guy is. The extent of that will dictate my thoughts on what should happen here.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

He needs to be LWOP'ed.

They can refer him for all the counselling he needs while he serves the rest of his life behind bars, where he belongs.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Termite

Post by Termite »

Aesop wrote:He needs to be LWOP'ed.

They can refer him for all the counselling he needs while he serves the rest of his life behind bars, where he belongs.
I'd rather pay for the funeral.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Killing crazy people is a societal slippery slope.
The other end is the front gates at Auschwitz.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Termite

Post by Termite »

Aesop wrote:Killing crazy people is a societal slippery slope.
The other end is the front gates at Auschwitz.
Allowing someone to kill themselves does not equal actively killing them.

And as CB said, he's not truly insane. He was aware enough to flee after he shot Kyle. That is prima facia evidence of the knowledge of right and wrong.
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

CByrneIV wrote:He doesn't meet the definition of legally insane, and the facts are not in dispute.

The only question is whether he'll be in a psychiatric unit, or not... and either way he's almost certainly not going to last long.
Chris, do you have a link to a psych eval or other information on his mental state?
And as CB said, he's not truly insane. He was aware enough to flee after he shot Kyle. That is prima facia evidence of the knowledge of right and wrong.
Termite, yes, he was aware enough to flee. That doesn't rule out temporary or intermittent episodes, and the simple existence of an "Oh shit, this is bad" response doesn't eliminate crazy.

Don't get me wrong, I am not in ANY way arguing for this guy's freedom or continued existence in society. However, I'd need to see actual information and medical documentation before I'm going to say "fry this asshole".