Colorado Marijijuana Smuggling

This forum is for discussions on the noteworthy events, people, places, and circumstances of both the past and the present (note: pop culture etc... is on the back porch).
Darrell

Re: Colorado Marijijuana Smuggling

Post by Darrell »

McClarkus wrote: My bank recently upgraded their website for business banking and I could not get signed back in until I verbally confirmed via phone call that none of my business was hooch related. They actually asked me if I engaged in anything to do with the dope industry because they wanted no part of it.
That's the first I've heard of that particular bit on banking, though I'm not surprised. The licensed growers are still buying safes on a regular basis, last I heard, to stash all the cash, since they can't put it in the bank.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

This is obviously due to weeds continuing status of legal limbo.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

HTRN wrote:This is obviously due to weeds continuing status of legal limbo.
From what I understand, legal weed is a no-no in the banking industry because it is still federally illegal. The way I heard the story, Eric Holder, et al, decided that legal weed is a bad thing. They were pissed at the states for enacting it, so they quietly told the banking industry that if their depositors were dealing in legal weed, the banks ran a risk of having their FDIC status jerked.

Ergo, all legal weed operations are cash businesses. They can't use the banking industry at all. No checking accounts, no credit cards, no line of credit. So, those businesses are sitting on huge amounts of cash.

I look on the legal weed business as just another data point in our huge national experiment on federalism and the over-reach of government.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

PawPaw wrote:
From what I understand, legal weed is a no-no in the banking industry because it is still federally illegal. The way I heard the story, Eric Holder, et al, decided that legal weed is a bad thing. They were pissed at the states for enacting it, so they quietly told the banking industry that if their depositors were dealing in legal weed, the banks ran a risk of having their FDIC status jerked.

Ergo, all legal weed operations are cash businesses. They can't use the banking industry at all. No checking accounts, no credit cards, no line of credit. So, those businesses are sitting on huge amounts of cash.

I look on the legal weed business as just another data point in our huge national experiment on federalism and the over-reach of government.
Would that be a a continuation of "Operation Chokepoint" then?
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

scipioafricanus wrote:
PawPaw wrote:

Would that be a a continuation of "Operation Chokepoint" then?
In this case, it actually is something that's against federal law, and not just something that the administration doesn't like, politically, but can't get at legislatively.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Banks care little about threats of losing their FDIC status; the reality is that if they take weed deposits, both those assets, and the banks themselves, could be seized under the RICO statutes. The bank would be a de facto participant and beneficiary of the proceeds of narcobusiness. And the feds would get to keep everything while the courts took a few years to sort it all out afterwards. Putting money gained from "legal" pot sales into a bank would be about as asinine as asking the local beat cop to take care of your kilo of weed.

A federal raid on a bank that seized 5-10% of its total deposits in the form of cash on hand would cause most banks to fold, overnight and permanently.

And it would all be bulletproof in federal court.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Just how many carwashes do you think Colorado can support?

I'm uncertain Mr. Heisenberg.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Termite

Post by Termite »

Aesop wrote:Banks care little about threats of losing their FDIC status; the reality is that if they take weed deposits, both those assets, and the banks themselves, could be seized under the RICO statutes. The bank would be a de facto participant and beneficiary of the proceeds of narcobusiness. And the feds would get to keep everything while the courts took a few years to sort it all out afterwards. Putting money gained from "legal" pot sales into a bank would be about as asinine as asking the local beat cop to take care of your kilo of weed.

A federal raid on a bank that seized 5-10% of its total deposits in the form of cash on hand would cause most banks to fold, overnight and permanently.

And it would all be bulletproof in federal court.
Don't have a federally chartered bank.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Hmmm. Something legal in some states and not others, with a federal law that conforms to some state's laws and not others.
I sense a conflict of laws among the states and the circuits. I wonder if the Dred Scott case might have some application here?
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy