John Paul Stevens Shows His Ass on 2nd Amendment

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
skb12172

John Paul Stevens Shows His Ass on 2nd Amendment

Post by skb12172 »

Calls for repeal of 2nd. The comments are illuminating. Many admitting that confiscation is their true goal. Enjoy the civil war, jackasses.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/o ... l?referer=
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Vonz90

Re: John Paul Stevens Shows His Ass on 2nd Amendment

Post by Vonz90 »

Well, I am glad that he is calling for repeal instead of pretending it does not mean what it clearly means.

Electorally, it would actually be a boon if the Left started calling for the 2nd to be repealed. However, for our culture, I would much rather the Left made piece withe 2nd and work to fix the real problems (not that I expect it, but I would in fact prefer that it happened.)
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03 ... hands.html

The current climate seems to be drawing a lot of them from cover.
randy

Post by randy »

It there is any opinion more useless than that of a retired Supreme Court Justice, I'm hard pressed to think of it.

I did find it amusing that he basically admitted that the originalist reading of the Second is correct.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Vonz90 wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03 ... hands.html

The current climate seems to be drawing a lot of them from cover.
I love it when these assholes become their own, worst enemy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

Vonz90 wrote:The current climate seems to be drawing a lot of them from cover.
Yup.

Georgia legislator says she won't "confiscate guns", yet the legislation she sponsors has language that Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) will "seize guns": https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... seize-them

1 million of the gun owners in "Blue State" Pennsylvania keep their firearms skills high enough to spend the money for an annual hunting license. These gun owners harvest 350,000 deer every year in a democrat controlled state.

I figure Georgia has similar demographics.

I'm bringing the popcorn. Should be interesting.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

It's interesting to think back on the compliance rate with the CT ban and the later thing in CO (?). Why do people think this will be different?

That whole thing about "forgetting history" seems to have a shorter span than before.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Jered

Post by Jered »

At least he wants to go about it the right way.

He's wrong, but, he's wrong in the right way. That's to say that I believe his position that people should have the right to arms is wrong, but, he's calling for the appropriate means to redress what he believes is wrong.

Rather than calling for a new law, he's calling for a Constitutional amendment, which is appropriate course of action.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I did see one commentator says that (I'm guessing he assumed the Dems take the House and maybe Senate in November) that the Dems would be lucky to get 40% of the votes in the House if they did bring it up for a vote, and that they'd be lucky to hold 40% of the seats after the next election.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Constitutional Amendment requires a Constitutional Convention. Once a CC is actually convened the whole Constitution is up for grabs. In today's world it would be the end of the Republic. "Attention All Commands; Imminent War Warning"

Edited to add: An amendment to the Constitution can be proposed only by Congress with a two-thirds vote in both houses, or by successfully calling a Constitutional Convention. And then any amendment has to be subsequently approved by 3/4's of the States. Why the ERA failed yeatrs back.
Last edited by Old Grafton on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.