The case against Greitens

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Langenator

Re: The case against Greitens

Post by Langenator »

skb12172 wrote:Why did the felony case in Texas, against the presidential hopeful, get so far before being thrown out? Sadly, the Democrats I talk to are OK with this kind of thing, as long as Republicans are the victims.
To them, of course, the investigation into Hillary's email server, and the classified material found there, was a politically motivated witch hunt. Nevermind that their side actually controlled the investigating agency (or that she's clearly guilty, and her pantsuit should be prison orange right now.)
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

A new, second felony charge. The Republicans are starting to turn on him.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... b.amp.html
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

In a nation of laws, you investigate a crime to try to find evidence showing which person committed it. In a nation of men, you investigate a person to try to find evidence of a crime.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
g-man

Post by g-man »

skb12172 wrote:A new, second felony charge. The Republicans are starting to turn on him.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crim ... b.amp.html
So... AG Hawley is is the front-running Republican trying to unseat the incumbent Democrat Senator. He's taking a 'hard line' on Greitens in what appears to be an attempt to look better to moderate voters who might be influenced to vote against the Democrat, but aren't happy with Greitens' alleged conduct. Color me surprised.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Greg

Post by Greg »

And the original felony charges were just dropped.

In addition, the lead 'investigator' is now looking at his own perjury investigation.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I am not a Greitens fan, but I am even less of a fan of using random over reaching investigations to take down political opponents. I think the Collusion investigation falls in the same camp (not a Trump fan either).

For reference, I wasn't in favor of the Whitewater or Irangate expansions either. Although the original investigations in those cases at least involved crimes, but they rapidly deteriorated from there. That seems to be the way they go.

Greitens big issue now is that after a year + in office bashing his own party, not too many of them feel like jumping to his defense .
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

When did ANY government entity ever close up shop and go away voluntarily after their original purpose was no longer applicable?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Netpackrat wrote:In a nation of laws, you investigate a crime to try to find evidence showing which person committed it. In a nation of men, you investigate a person to try to find evidence of a crime.
It's been attributed to Stalin, but I think Felix Dzerzhinsky said it first, "Show me the man, I'll show you the crime."
Iron Felix was, of course, the head of the Soviet Cheka, the OGPU, and the GPU.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy