Deputy On Duty Didn't Engage Shooter

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Re: Deputy On Duty Didn't Engage Shooter

Post by Vonz90 »

It does not bother me because it is what I expect. Certainly there are plenty of brave police officers, that is not my point. The point is that nothing requires them to do anything brave. A police officer cannot be court marshaled and executed for cowardice in the face of the enemy at even a theoretical level. They are civilians who can quit any time they feel like it.

If something is not a job requirement, why be shocked when those doing the job do not meet the requirement?

It is just the latest data point to demonstrate that if you want to have your person protected, you better expect to do it yourself.
Rod

Post by Rod »

scipioafricanus wrote:This has got me really hot... so bear with me.

First, this garbage Sheriff wants to take away our AR15s, but his deputy failed to do his damn job during the shooting? (besides not doing anything 39 times they showed up this lil angel's home)

Second, since he has been forced to resign, I assume they aren't under the old doctrine of Virginia Tech: cordoning off the area, gather numbers, let people die for 2 hours before anything happens...
He didn't resign, he turned in his retirement paperwork, THEN resigned.
But how is a guy supposed to confront someone with an AR15...? If you want to put on a uniform, badge, and gun while thinking you are the equivalent of the military... I was taught to march toward the sound of the guns; MOVE!
He was carrying an AR-15 also.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
randy

Post by randy »

It does bother me, because I cannot fathom any human, especially any man, not reacting when children are in danger, especially when you have the equipment and training to do something about it.

I know intellectually there are a lot of people that won't react that way, but I just don't "get it".

The coach that died protecting students "got it". This despicable individual, doesn't, at least not fully.

I guess it depends on whether he is ashamed of himself for failing in his duty as a human and as a citizen (in the Heinlein sense), and that's why he quit, or if he just understands the optics and political implications of the situation and decided to duck out of facing the consequences (again).

The knowledge that not all people will rise to the test does nothing to mitigate the disgust I feel towards people that don't even try.

But hey, he got to go home at the end of his shift! that's all that counts, right?

(the last is not aimed at you Vonz, just general frustration and disgust with that attitude from people over the years that affect military swagger but, as you are pointed out, are just another bunch of civilians)
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

randy wrote:
But hey, he got to go home at the end of his shift! that's all that counts, right?
I have heard cops say exactly that, I believe it is very much part of their culture in some areas or subsets.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I read elsewhere that the officer in question now has a protective detail assigned to watch his house. Hopefully if he decides to do the honorable thing, they won't try to interfere.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
scipioafricanus

Post by scipioafricanus »

Rod wrote:
scipioafricanus wrote:This has got me really hot... so bear with me.

First, this garbage Sheriff wants to take away our AR15s, but his deputy failed to do his damn job during the shooting? (besides not doing anything 39 times they showed up this lil angel's home)

Second, since he has been forced to resign, I assume they aren't under the old doctrine of Virginia Tech: cordoning off the area, gather numbers, let people die for 2 hours before anything happens...
He didn't resign, he turned in his retirement paperwork, THEN resigned.
But how is a guy supposed to confront someone with an AR15...? If you want to put on a uniform, badge, and gun while thinking you are the equivalent of the military... I was taught to march toward the sound of the guns; MOVE!
He was carrying an AR-15 also.
Great so Ossifer Coward will get his pension.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Latest on drudge was a total of three that waited outside instead of going in.
We need to remove the titles of nobility we bestow on these people.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Looks like 4 hid and shit their pants.
https://nypost.com/2018/02/23/four-sher ... -shooting/
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

slowpoke wrote:Latest on drudge was a total of three that waited outside instead of going in.
Link?

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Netpackrat wrote:
slowpoke wrote:Latest on drudge was a total of three that waited outside instead of going in.
Link?
Never mind, here:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics ... olitics=Tw