The Market Works

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Jered

The Market Works

Post by Jered »

For years, hospital executives have expressed frustration when essential drugs like heart medicines have become scarce, or when prices have skyrocketed because investors manipulated the market.

Now, some of the country’s largest hospital systems are taking an aggressive step to combat the problem: They plan to go into the drug business themselves, in a move that appears to be the first on this scale.

Hospitals are getting mad at drug makers.
Several major hospital systems, including Ascension, a Catholic system that is the nation’s largest nonprofit hospital group, plan to form a new nonprofit company, that will provide a number of generic drugs to the hospitals.
This is what happens when you piss off your customers. Don't be surprised if they find ways to not do business with you.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
randy

Re: The Market Works

Post by randy »

But...but...but they aren't the Government! /leftist
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Jered

Post by Jered »

randy wrote:But...but...but they aren't the Government! /leftist
The VA showed interest.

They are the government.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Knowing the VA, they’d start using arsenic instead of aspirin
randy

Post by randy »

My point was mocking people that insist all major problems MUST be solved by a .gov program, that there an be no other acceptable way.

Like those that ignore the technological advances and market forces that are doing more to "fix" "global warming" (aka the natural progression of the climate cycle) than all .gov programs combined worldwide.

The fact that the VA is interested could be 1 of 2 possibilities:

1. The folks running the VA under the current administration actually care about Vets (finally) and want to be effective no matter where the solution comes from.

2. It's the bureaucratic nose under the tent to get inside the wire to ensure these upstarts don't accomplish something and expose the phony baloney jobs of so many in the system.

Even if it is number 1, I'd almost wish they'd stay out of it. When the next turn of the wheel in DC happens, there will be a full bore press to squash things like this to force folks to turn back to the .gov and the next go around of "Health Care [strike]Control[/strike] Reform". Although there's enough over regulation through the FDA etc. they can probably do it without infiltrators.

I'm not knocking the initiative, I'm just old and tired enough to have my doubts that they'll get away with it. Hopefully the folks involved are pissed off enough to force it through despite the push back from the usual suspects.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

BDK wrote:Knowing the VA, they’d start using arsenic instead of aspirin
That's why I'll go to my family veterinarian before I go to the VA! He's cheaper, he's closer, and he's less likely to kill me by mistake!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Jered

Post by Jered »

randy wrote:My point was mocking people that insist all major problems MUST be solved by a .gov program, that there an be no other acceptable way.
Yep. I know.

:lol:

These drug companies deserve to lose every bit of business this idea will take.

Hey! Look! I think that these drug companies are right bastards for pulling this patent crap, but, I'm not calling on the government to change it. I'm applauding the private sector's attempt to do so.