State rep run

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Precision

State rep run

Post by Precision »

I am seriously thinking about running for a State Rep position here in TN. The TN Constitution (smartly) requires me to wait until I am a resident for 3 years, so 2018 is not going to happen. This means I have lots of time to build up and make my decision for a 2020 run.

Help talk me into or out of this.

Currently my plan is to build out a platform in a Constitutional Conservative / libertarian (small "L" on purpose) agenda.

My advertising plan is to do over the top ads like Black Rifle Coffee Company. Quite a bit less emphasis on the sexual side, but just as much pointing and laughing at demonrat stupidity, even if it is not in my area. I will also do very pro gun pieces in ads.

I will campaign as being a candidate that will vote for Conservative ideals regardless of pressure.
Freedom Caucus ideals
2nd Amendment Caucus ideals

I will directly state that I will NOT serve as a Rep for more than 2 terms. If things are still in need, I will follow my own beliefs regarding politicians; two terms at any position, then up or out.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
scipioafricanus

Re: State rep run

Post by scipioafricanus »

Go for it.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Where do we send campaign donations?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Precision wrote:I am seriously thinking about running for a State Rep position here in TN. The TN Constitution (smartly) requires me to wait until I am a resident for 3 years, so 2018 is not going to happen. This means I have lots of time to build up and make my decision for a 2020 run.

Help talk me into or out of this.

Currently my plan is to build out a platform in a Constitutional Conservative / libertarian (small "L" on purpose) agenda.

My advertising plan is to do over the top ads like Black Rifle Coffee Company. Quite a bit less emphasis on the sexual side, but just as much pointing and laughing at demonrat stupidity, even if it is not in my area. I will also do very pro gun pieces in ads.

I will campaign as being a candidate that will vote for Conservative ideals regardless of pressure.
Freedom Caucus ideals

I will directly state that I will NOT serve as a Rep for more than 2 terms. If things are still in need, I will follow my own beliefs regarding politicians; two terms at any position, then up or out.
I hope you do, and good luck if you do. I ran for state rep in Mo back in the early 00s. Ended up loosing the primary by a couple hundred votes in the GOP primary to someone who had no chance of winning the general. However, she was supported by the other township GOP (the district split two townships) and the powers to be in that township did not want anyone from the other township to win come hell or high water, so they were way behind her while those in my township were mostly neutral. She was a nice gal and all, I endorsed her and all, but she was destroyed in the general. Not sure I would have won, but I know from acquaintances that the Dem's in the area were actively supporting her because they did not want to run their guy against me. Anyway, she lost what had previously been a GOP seat by 20 pts or so.

I am saying this to let you know that politics is very political. Get involved (I was at the time, which is how it came to pass) and make lots of friends, work on other peoples campaigns, donate money if you can. Learn a lot. Don't be surprised if you loose the first time. Also, maybe think about a smaller position first (town council or such) just to get your name out there.

Funny thing, one of the local Reps called me to ask me to run again a year later. She said that everyone who backed the one gal realized they screwed up and asked me to run again, but I was packing up my uniforms to go off to the desert for Uncle Sam at the time so it did not happen (wife was over it anyway).

If nothing else, you learn a lot.
Jered

Post by Jered »

Step 1; Buy a copy of Take Back Your Government by RAH.

Step 2: Memorize it.

Step 3: Profit
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Be involved in local politics for the next three years, city or county. Volunteer for something for a local/state candidate in the party. Volunteer for something with a big city Commission, say Planning, Architectural review, building and safety. Recreation and parks might be easy to get into, but I don't know what you could get a name for. Maybe run for a big city city council or County Supervisor position? You want your name
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

You seem like a decent, talented guy, not sure why you would want anything to do with that.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Precision

Post by Precision »

Thanks for all the complements. NPR, I think yours is the strongest complement even if it is by way of besmirching the others. :lol:

To answer the question. I have never served my country and that is a regret. I allowed myself to be talked out of joining the military out of high school and again directly after 9/11. Other than my wife's death, that is my largest (and only self determined) regret. It is my opinion that it is wrong to sit idly and bitch when you can become involved, also if more "average" citizens pushed back things might actually change.

I win or I don't, but I plan to put some sunshine and directness into the process.

If I win at Rep, (a two year term) I might well run for a second term. Then if so motivated, run for State Senate or perhaps move to the big cesspool, I mean stage. In all likelihood, I will either have a seriously devoted following of voters for my direct honesty or a serious hatred from my constituents for not bringing home any pork. Either way, I am not planning on being a career politician. Two terms (or 8 years in any one position) is all I will allow myself.

Quite honestly, I may hate it so much after one two year term... I may tell them my record stands for itself. Vote me back in or don't, but I won't pester you for the "honor".
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Precision

Post by Precision »

deleted for dupe
Last edited by Precision on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Precision

Post by Precision »

Precision wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
Precision wrote:I am seriously thinking about running for a State Rep position here in TN.

Freedom Caucus ideals

I hope you do, and good luck if you do. I ran for state rep in Mo back in the early 00s. Ended up loosing the primary by a couple hundred votes in the GOP primary to someone who had no chance of winning the general. However, she was supported by the other township GOP (the district split two townships) and the powers to be in that township did not want anyone from the other township to win come hell or high water, so they were way behind her while those in my township were mostly neutral. She was a nice gal and all, I endorsed her and all, but she was destroyed in the general. Not sure I would have won, but I know from acquaintances that the Dem's in the area were actively supporting her because they did not want to run their guy against me. Anyway, she lost what had previously been a GOP seat by 20 pts or so.

I am saying this to let you know that politics is very political. Get involved (I was at the time, which is how it came to pass) and make lots of friends, work on other peoples campaigns, donate money if you can. Learn a lot. Don't be surprised if you loose the first time. Also, maybe think about a smaller position first (town council or such) just to get your name out there.

Funny thing, one of the local Reps called me to ask me to run again a year later. She said that everyone who backed the one gal realized they screwed up and asked me to run again, but I was packing up my uniforms to go off to the desert for Uncle Sam at the time so it did not happen (wife was over it anyway).

If nothing else, you learn a lot.
I have already started doing that to some extent with a TN local grass roots gun organization. Several people in that group have suggested I run. I already have a few people willing to help with my campaign and a few people who are distinctly against / in fear of my running.

My wife would have been my biggest cheerleader and the best campaign manager ever, but alas.

I may lean on you for some insights if this does get some steam rolling.

I imagine I will learn a lot.