Bundy charges dismissed

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Bundy charges dismissed

Post by Vonz90 »

Greg

Re: Bundy charges dismissed

Post by Greg »

You really have to wonder at the sorts of things they were convinced they could get away with, how untouchable they felt.

And what sorts of things they're *already* gotten away with, that led them to feel so untouchable.

And how much of this would ever have come out if Hillary won.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Jered

Post by Jered »

If I was a defense attorney, I know what prosecutor I'd want to face in court.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Jered wrote:If I was a defense attorney, I know what prosecutor I'd want to face in court.
Perhaps not so much the prosecutor, and more the judge.
According to Dr. Roots, “This was almost certainly jury nullification. I see no other realistic interpretation. I say that because the defense pretty much did not put on a case, and in fact, were not allowed to put on a case.”

Among other things, the judge forbade the defense from many lines of inquiry including
● how well-armed Bureau of Land Management (BLM) agents were or how frightened defendants were of a potential attack,
● any mention of bullying or physically violent behavior of BLM agents leading up to the protest (though the prosecution was allowed to bring up things that happened months beforehand),
● any reference whatsoever to Constitutional First or Second Amendment rights, and
● any testimony from five prospective defense witnesses, whose testimony Judge Navarro pre-screened outside the presence of the jury and ultimately rejected.

Navarro cut off defendant Eric Parker mid-testimony, and she kicked him off the stand for supposedly breaking the rules she laid down. At the time he was cut off, he was rebutting a statement made by a prosecution witness claiming that he looked in a particular direction. That testimony was allowed, but Parker was not allowed to testify that he looked up and to the right. After Not only that statement, but his entire testimony was stricken from the record. Jurors were ordered to disregard all of his testimony, leaving him completely voiceless in his own defense.

Defense attorney Jess Marchese confirmed after speaking with jurors that the treatment of the defense factored into their decisions.

“The court’s restrictive limitations on the defense were overtly aimed at stopping jury nullification, and yet the irony is that they absolutely fueled it,” Roots said.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Jered

Post by Jered »

That's the other one, though.

This prosecutor and that judge. :roll:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.