Philly to ban bullet resistant windows in businesses

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
HTRN

Re: Philly to ban bullet resistant windows in businesses

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote:Whenever i worked at a particular customer's site in central PA i learned quickly you had to go to the pizza hut and get six cans of cold beer from them because gas stations didn't sell it.
Then i wised up and stocked up a cooler in Ohio before i crossed the state line.
Its illegal, but most people that live anywhere near the border do booze runs to avoid the 18% johnstown flood tax..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

"to serving food through a plexiglass only in certain neighborhoods"

I had lunch at such a place in Los Angeles last Thursday, and it was no where near "the Jungle."
If they want such a plexiglass box at a restaurant, there is likely a good reason, so government should butt out.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

HTRN wrote:
Langenator wrote:I will agree that, at least in my experience (20 years in the Army, bought alcohol to take home in at least 10 states, PA has the messed up booze laws. Probably the next most annoying is OK, with their silly 3.5% beer law.
A friend of mine observed that pretty much every state thats a commonwealth, has fucked up alcohol laws.
Oklahoma? Try Utah and Massachusetts. :ugeek:
Virginia, in my experience, is only slightly more messed up than the rest of the South. In my experience, you can't buy booze, except in restaurants for consumption on the premises, on Sunday anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line. (Although you can in TX after noon.) VA just takes that and adds state run ABC stores for hard liquor. (Pretty sure at least some other southern states do that as well, but I can really only speak to TX, NC, and GA. I don't recall ever looking any further than the base Class VI when I was in SC.)

Utah, at least, has a religious excuse.

Honestly, the only POSSIBLE legit objection I can see to the bulletproof glass walls would come from the fire marshall, if they provide too great a hindrance to the ability to GTFO in an emergency.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

Langenator wrote: Virginia, in my experience, is only slightly more messed up than the rest of the South. In my experience, you can't buy booze, except in restaurants for consumption on the premises, on Sunday anywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line. (Although you can in TX after noon.)
Well, in the Protestant South, anyhow. Louisiana south of I-10 & I-12 has fairly sane booze laws. North of the state seems fairly convinced that Jesus turned water into grape soda. :lol:
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Cybrludite wrote:
(snip)

North of the state seems fairly convinced that Jesus turned water into grape soda. :lol:
I've actually seen the argument that Jesus turned water into grape juice at Cana. As an Anglican Catholic I found the argument....less than compelling.
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

MarkD wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:
(snip)

North of the state seems fairly convinced that Jesus turned water into grape soda. :lol:
I've actually seen the argument that Jesus turned water into grape juice at Cana. As an Anglican Catholic I found the argument....less than compelling.
Because a fundamentalist is someone who will tell you they believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible, and then hand you grape juice at communion (and call them emblems)
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Vonz90 wrote:
MarkD wrote:
Cybrludite wrote:
(snip)

Because a fundamentalist is someone who will tell you they believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible, and then hand you grape juice at communion (and call them emblems)
One of the things I still can't figure out with Mormons...Jesus turned water into wine, and had wine and the Last Supper...and yet they use water for communion.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Commentary on the original subject, by Prof. Eugene Volokh of The Volokh Conspiracy: http://reason.com/volokh/2017/12/20/rig ... roof-glass
By the way, these right-to-defend-life/liberty/property provisions are rarely noticed by academics, but have been successfully used in cases throughout the country, in the 21 states that have them in their Bills of Rights. Indeed, even some states that lack such express provisions have relied on precedents from other states that do have the provisions, and thus view the right as constitutionally protected.
FWIW, I think Prof. Volokh would be a great replacement for Alex Koczinski.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus