Philly to ban bullet resistant windows in businesses

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
MiddleAgedKen

Re: Philly to ban bullet resistant windows in businesses

Post by MiddleAgedKen »

Yeah, it's amusing when I try to explain the Ohio drive-through to Pennsylvanians. You can get beer and wine in grocery stores there now, but there's a separate checkout for it.

Connecticut was still mostly package stores when I worked there a few years ago, too.
Shop at Traitor Joe's: Just 10% to the Big Guy gets you the whole store and everything in it!
randy

Post by randy »

Langenator wrote:...truly stupid social justice rhetoric.
Redundancy Alert :mrgreen:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Langenator wrote:I believe there was a move, a few years ago, to fix PA's retarded beer law, but it was killed thanks to extensive lobbying by the beer wholesalers lobby.
Theres an attempt pretty much every year to repeal it, buttttt...
1) The beer distributors dont want the increased competition, and they have lobbying dollars.
2)MAAD doesnt want any form of alcohol to become easier to buy, and they have lobbying dollars
3) The union for the state store workers dont want to lose the jobs of their members, and tehy have lobbying dollars
4) A good portion of the eletorate in PA doesnt want to be seen "promoting drunkeness", others see those state store jobs as a convenient way to reward political supporters.

The most recent attempt to allow sales of booze in supermarkets (which has become somewhat more common due to loosening of the laws in past years) was vehemntly opposed, particularly by the union, undoubtly as they would most likely all lose their jobs. :ugeek:

PA has the most restrictive alcohol laws in the country, inspite of the recent easements.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

I will say that, though in large part it may be a credit to PA's Ag department being very pro small producer, I think one of the reason's PA has so many small beer companies, is the large number of "distributors"

(Unless I'm wrong, I believe alcohol has to go from a licensed manufacturer, to a distributor, before it can be sold.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

BDK wrote:I think one of the reason's PA has so many small beer companies, is the large number of "distributors"
I think theres some pretty steep regs for getting beer sold there brewed out of state, which would certainly contribute to it. Then theres the fact that pennsylvanians just seem to support the hometown breweries, more than one of which does most of their sales in their home state.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

HTRN wrote:
Langenator wrote:I believe there was a move, a few years ago, to fix PA's retarded beer law, but it was killed thanks to extensive lobbying by the beer wholesalers lobby.
Theres an attempt pretty much every year to repeal it, buttttt...
1) The beer distributors dont want the increased competition, and they have lobbying dollars.
2)MAAD doesnt want any form of alcohol to become easier to buy, and they have lobbying dollars
3) The union for the state store workers dont want to lose the jobs of their members, and tehy have lobbying dollars
4) A good portion of the eletorate in PA doesnt want to be seen "promoting drunkeness", others see those state store jobs as a convenient way to reward political supporters.

The most recent attempt to allow sales of booze in supermarkets (which has become somewhat more common due to loosening of the laws in past years) was vehemntly opposed, particularly by the union, undoubtly as they would most likely all lose their jobs. :ugeek:

PA has the most restrictive alcohol laws in the country, inspite of the recent easements.
I will agree that, at least in my experience (20 years in the Army, bought alcohol to take home in at least 10 states, PA has the messed up booze laws. Probably the next most annoying is OK, with their silly 3.5% beer law.

And those laws are why the Army War College in Carlisle has a Class VI all out of proportion to the post's population.

My first encounter with PA's alcohol laws was when I attended a 14 week school at the AWC. Pulled in around 8, grabbed some dinner, went into WalMart to grab a 6 pack. No beer. Hit up a stop-n-rob across the street. No beer, so I ask the clerk and he explains it to me.

Does PA have citizen ballot initiatives? IIRC, that was how WA got rid of their state liquor (not wine or beer, just hard stuff) monopoly.

MADD has become so neo-Prohibitionist that I pretty much have no use for them. I think it's mostly just to justify their continued existence (and comfy salaries and sense of moral self importance) since they've pretty much done as much as can be done WRT booze. (Honestly, I think Uber and Lyft and doing more to reduce DWIs at this point than MADD). Maybe MADD should shift their efforts to stoned drivers.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Maybe MADD should shift their efforts to stoned drivers.
But then it would be Mothers Against Impaired Drivers, and who's gonna give money to MAID?
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

I've actually made a DWI arrest on a kid who was high. Dang near fell on his face before I could even start the Walk and Turn test. Blew flat 0.000 on BAC. Still waiting on his blood results.

The DRE (drug recognition expert) said he was on THC and "dissociative anesthetics" (ketamine, for example).
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Langenator wrote:I will agree that, at least in my experience (20 years in the Army, bought alcohol to take home in at least 10 states, PA has the messed up booze laws. Probably the next most annoying is OK, with their silly 3.5% beer law.
A friend of mine observed that pretty much every state thats a commonwealth, has fucked up alcohol laws.
Oklahoma? Try Utah and Massachusetts. :ugeek:

evan price

Post by evan price »

Whenever i worked at a particular customer's site in central PA i learned quickly you had to go to the pizza hut and get six cans of cold beer from them because gas stations didn't sell it.
Then i wised up and stocked up a cooler in Ohio before i crossed the state line.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!